Topic Options
#1871 - 06/05/07 10:52 AM Settings for pinging multiple targets
Kenny Clark Offline

I need to ping mulitple target that are connected via cellular 1xrtt connection. I need to simulate a 500byte packet at a rate of once per second. I set my ping interval to 1 second and set my interval between targets in the options section to 50 ms. I have approximately 20 hosts I need to ping every second. but I am getting a lot of N/A's in the logs. I have setup alerts to always right to a log file. Can anyone give me an example of what settings I need to make to get this to work well. I wouldn't think a PC would have trouble sending out 20 500byte packets per secondso I figure I must have something set incorrectly. Latency on these links are typically 500ms-1500ms depending on geographic location.

#1872 - 06/13/07 12:27 AM Re: Settings for pinging multiple targets [Re: Kenny Clark]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Kenny.

Using the settings you list, you're sending out a 500 byte packet every 50ms, or 20 per second. This is 10,000 bytes per second, which is possible with 1xrtt, but not particularly optimal. We do some testing here with 1xrtt and 20 targets with 50ms between pings works well with 50 byte packets, but saturation seems to happen relatively quickly at 500 byte packets. Of course, your experience will vary based on your specific connection criteria, but this is what we've experienced here.

Usually, the upstream bandwidth of 1xrtt is significantly more limited than the downstream bandwidth, and pinging uses bandwidth in both directions. I'm just not sure that 1xrtt has enough to support the kind of measurements you're asking for. It's possible, but certainly not guaranteed.

Your PC itself (and MultiPing) should have no problems at all with this kind of load.

To get a packet once per second (a goal that should be very easily echievable), you need to modify your "Time interval between pings" to 1000ms (or 1 second), and your packet size to 500 bytes. You'd then need to put your trace interval high enough to cover all your targets at 1 per second, or 20 seconds in your case.

The N/A is a bit perplexing. Usually, this means that a stop / start sequence has happened (by hitting the stop, then start button). If you want us to look at this in more detail, please email us a workspace file along with the collected data file (stored in a directory with the same name as the workspace). We can have a look at it and see if there's any information that can be gathered from this data.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod