Topic Options
#1734 - 09/22/06 01:36 PM last hop is always 10%
yaman Offline

a friend of mine is using VOIP and unfortunately he is a linux guy so he cant use pingplotter, he is facing packet loss when making voip calls. so i decided to run pingplotter from my location to his ip address. i have see that the last hope most of time is showing 10% packet loss as well as the hop before the last one and all other hops before are not showing anything.

i am sure that the problem is coming from his ISP, but can this be that the problem is from his router? always 10% to 20% on the last hop or the hop before the last and the last hop is his ip address.

i would appreciate your remarks on that

thanks

#1735 - 09/22/06 01:55 PM Re: last hop is always 10% [Re: yaman]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
If the last hop *and* the hop before it are both showing similar packet loss, then it's almost certain that the problem is with the ISP, not his router. In most cases, the publicly available IP address (that you're pinging) is his router, and the one before that is part of the ISP. If that's showing problems, then the ISP is probably the culprit.

This is based on "usual circumstances", not this specific instance. It's hard to get an exact story of the problem when tracing from the far side - there are numerous things that could mean the above conclusion is wrong.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod