Topic Options
#164 - 06/01/00 08:59 AM Ignoring route changes
angusm Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
A route that I commonly trace now has major changes every time it is traced (only 6 out of 14 or 16 hops stay the same each time, going through entirely different networks with different numbers of hops), so I set an IP mask of ALL. This does not seem to ignore route changes, but does change the behavior so that instead of updating the list of hops, it redraws them all (like when you stop and resume the trace).<br><br>Othe anomalies that I have noticed since the route changes became so major is that random timeline graphs appear (I checked pingplotter.ini and there was no matching entry there), and node names change (I assume both these are a timing thing - by the time pingplotter gets the name, the route has changed and hop 15 is no longer the same address)<br><br>

#165 - 06/01/00 09:29 PM Re: Ignoring route changes [Re: angusm]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Using an route change mask of ALL should stop the route changes from being logged in the route change window, but the IPs shown in screen will change with what the current IP is (there's really only two ways to handle this - leave it as it was when the first trace happened, or update like it's doing now). It seems to me that this behaviour is better (you know what route is currently taken). Comments on this are welcome.<br><br>Route changes are ALWAYS logged if the route length changes. I'm not sure if there's better ways to handle this - and I'm open for suggestions.<br><br>How would you like it to work in the case you're talking about? What behaviour would you expect from it?<br><br>I'll have a look at he DNS lookups to make sure the name resolution works correctly even when an IP is no longer in the route.<br><br>Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions.<br><br>

#166 - 06/01/00 10:30 PM Re: Ignoring route changes [Re: Pete Ness]
angusm Offline

In normal operation, the main display (i.e. the list of hops) updates when a route change occurs - that is successive lines are overwritten with the new information, and the "New route changes logged" message appears. <br><br>When ALL is specified as the route change mask and a route change occurs, the list of hops is blanked out completely and the new list of hops generated and the "New route changes logged" message appears. <br><br>What I expected (and would prefer) is that the behavior is just the same as for normal operation (i.e. updating the list rather than redrawing it), but without the "New route changes logged" message (although the route history should be kept in case it is needed).<br><br>Incidentally, I could not enter a mask of 255.255.255.255, (to see if it behaved differently from ALL - it doesn't), but I could create that mask by entering 255.255.255.254 and ORing it with 0.0.0.1. After restarting, it shows ALL - so obviously you convert ALL to 255.255.255.255 internally.<br><br>Also, the legend on the OR button does not fit if the mask has more than 9 digits - my laptop's screen resolution is 1024x768 with normal (96 dpi) fonts. The problem is exagerated if large fonts are used.<br><br>

#167 - 06/01/00 10:45 PM Re: Ignoring route changes [Re: angusm]
Pete Ness Offline

There's a bug in the way "ALL" works currently. I think the *intended* operation of "ALL" is the way you're expecting it to work.<br><br>If you're game, I'll send you a quick interim test .exe that has this fixed to see if it behaves as you expect it to... Don't want to just blast it off to you if you don't want it, though.<br><br>

#168 - 06/02/00 07:47 AM Re: Ignoring route changes [Re: Pete Ness]
angusm Offline

OK - send it to amacleod@softlabna.com<br><br>

#169 - 06/06/00 11:42 PM Re: Ignoring route changes [Re: angusm]
Pete Ness Offline

I'm hoping to get the next beta ready in the next 24 hours or so. I'll send you a copy of it when it's ready, though.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod