Topic Options
#1657 - 06/13/06 10:30 PM Intermittent ping failures
JohnO Offline

Greetings,

I'm using PingPlotter 2.60 standard on Windows XP SP1 on an HP nx5000 laptop.

Over the last couple of weeks, sometimes I'll see significant packet loss for a second or three, then it recovers. It starts to look like a major problem in our WAN. Last week I had two managers around as I showed them the problem. As we tried to narrow the problem down to a particular router or link, it turned out that no matter what I was pinging, the problem appears the same. I asked some one next to me to use DOS ping, and they showed no packet loss to the same destinations. I opened a DOS window and tried a DOS ping. At the same instant that PingPlotter showed packet loss, the DOS ping -t showed the message "General Failure."

Has anyone seen this behavior? Rebooting clears the problem, at least for a while. If I just use DOS ping, the problem doesn't seem to crop up.

Could this be a software issue with PingPlotter? A windows network driver issue? A hardware issue? Black Magic aimed at embarrassing me in front of my boss?

Thanks,

John

#1658 - 06/13/06 10:36 PM Re: Intermittent ping failures [Re: JohnO]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, John.

This is a rough one to troubleshoot. It sounds like there's some kind of issue with something running on your machine, since the error *did* occur with PING at the same time as PingPlotter.

I'd start out by switching to ICMP raw sockets and see if that changes things - maybe there's just an issue with ICMP.DLL. Then, maybe try running PingPlotter on a your neighbor's machine.

We have a couple of articles that touch on this topic a bit:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/37

and

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/22

See if that gets you an ideas.

It does seem like a local PC issue rather than a router issue, based on the "General Failure" message. Are you getting similar errors in PingPlotter (it will show up above the upper trace graph)?

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod