Topic Options
#1617 - 04/28/06 06:27 AM PingPlotter in IIS
mbaldwin Offline

Hi All, I've been trying to setup pingplotter PRO in IIS so I can access it in Explorer (I would prefer this method rather then using the Apps built in web server) but have hit a bit of a wall.

I've created A virtual directory to the apps www folder, I believe I've set permissions correctly (ive copied test asp pages into the folder and these have run fine in IIS) Asp pages are allowed to run but when I browse to the site I get...

Critical Error
The PingPlotter web interface had an error.

Couldn't create PingPlotter Object.
Make sure rights to the PingPlotter engine object are correctly configured.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: 006~ASP 0177~Server.CreateObject Failed~80080005
Source: Server object

And the following appears in event viewer...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 28/04/2006
Time: 11:27:15
User: ******\IUSR_*******
Computer: *********
Description:
The server {C7CEDE66-8336-4BAE-AB5A-BFF83A1EE36E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I think this is possibly a problem with the anonymous user not having permission to access something Ping plotter needs, but I have no idea what...

Any assistance greatly appreciated,

Cheers

#1618 - 04/28/06 12:59 PM Re: PingPlotter in IIS [Re: mbaldwin]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
There's a bug in the 3.00.2p release that initializes things in an order that Windows 2003 doesn't like. This occurs only on Windows 2003 (not 2000 or XP).

The fix for this is in the beta (http://www.pingplotterpro.com/beta.html) - look at the release notes for beta 4 to see where the problem was fixed. We're just in the final throws of building a new beta release (it will be ready sometime in the next few hours), but the particular problem you're talking about is fixed in the current beta.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. Sorry about the problems!

- Pete

#1619 - 08/17/07 01:54 PM Re: PingPlotter in IIS [Re: Pete Ness]
ctuxbury Offline

We are also running on Windows 2003 SP1. I downloaded and installed the beta version and it did not fix the error. Is there another workaround? We've also checked permissions on the folder, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's the error:
Critical Error
The PingPlotter web interface had an error.

Couldn't create PingPlotter Object.
Make sure rights to the PingPlotter engine object are correctly configured.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: 006~ASP 0178~Server.CreateObject Access Error~The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.
Source: Server object

#1620 - 08/17/07 02:07 PM Re: PingPlotter in IIS [Re: ctuxbury]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
The bug in the initial post in this thread was fixed in the 3.10 release, and there was no workaround to that one. The error you're running in to now is a permissions problem, though, and we've have numerous confirmed instances of IIS working as a web server - so we just need to get the permissions correct.

You need to grant rights to the launching user. To do this, run dcomcnfg (Start -> Run, type "dcomcnfg"), then go through "Console Root", Components Services, My Computer, DCOM Config, PingPlotter - right click on "Properties". Go to the "Security" tab and customize all launch and access permissions - put "Everyone" for full rights on both sections. Try and see if that makes a difference - if so, then you can back off the rights a bit. Most people have success granting the user that IIS is running (IUSR_{MACHINE NAME}) as, "Launch and Activation Permissions:" "Local Activation" only.

We talk about some of this more here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/pro/web_interface.html

Please let us know how this goes.

Note: We strongly recommend using the latest beta version with IIS as it has numerous performance enhancements when running multiple targets. The 3.10p release does work fine with IIS, but is noticeably slower than using the built-in web server. With the 3.15p betas, this performance difference has been mostly eliminated. You said you're using the latest 3.15p beta 2, but I wanted to share this "tidbit".

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod