Topic Options
#1436 - 08/11/05 05:54 AM Samples during office hours
Jimmy E. Frederiksen Offline

I use MultiPing to monitor our communication to our locations during my office hours. So far I've only been interested in longer periods of downtime - not packet loss.

So I use the default 10 samples. But it would be of great knowledge if I could see how many errors a location has had during the day. Also to see what the average repsonse has been overall.

Any suggestions to what the amount of samples should be for monitoring 8 hours straight?

#1437 - 08/15/05 10:53 AM Re: Samples during office hours [Re: Jimmy E. Frederiksen]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
To see this, set "Samples to include" to include the whole day. Basically, determine how many samples MultiPing will have sent out by dividing the time period (8 hours, for example) you've been running by the ping interval. If you're doing 15 second ping interval, this would be 1920 for "Samples to include".

One way to help with this calculation is to use PingPlotter to help. If you're running PingPlotter with the same interval as MultiPing (which it sounds like you are, based on your other post), just enter "8 hours" into the "Samples to include" field. PingPlotter will determine how many samples that will be and will convert "8 hours" to a number (ie: 1920 for the previous example). This is in PingPlotter 2.60 only.

- Pete

#1438 - 08/16/05 06:44 AM Re: Samples during office hours [Re: Pete Ness]

I'm running a 5 second ping interval, so I guess that'll be 5760 samples. For some reason I can't use the "8 hours" trick in PingPlotter - It'll just return "ALL".

It's seems to do the job - thanks!

#1439 - 08/16/05 11:48 AM Re: Samples during office hours [Re: Jimmy E. Frederiksen]
Pete Ness Offline

You have to have 8 hours of data in PingPlotter, otherwise it doesn't know how many samples represent 8 hours. You can send your data from MultiPing over to PingPlotter (right-click on the target in MultiPing and "Send data to PingPlotter") to populate it with enough data.

#1440 - 08/17/05 07:07 AM Re: Samples during office hours [Re: Pete Ness]

OK! I can see that the "ALL" function also is available in MultiPing, so I think I'll just use this. I didn't think that the samples were saved - i.e. they were reset each 10 samples.

Then at the end of the day I can just choose to view all samples to get a picture of how the network situation has been during the day.

Thanks!

#1441 - 08/17/05 09:29 AM Re: Samples during office hours [Re: Jimmy E. Frederiksen]
Pete Ness Offline

The number of samples in memory can be controlled in the Edit -> Options menu in the "Packet Options" section. By default, this is set to leave all samples in memory. The "Samples to include" setting is a display only setting. You can leave it set to 10 all day, then at the end of the day, set it to whatever you want and do analysis then.

The only problem with leaving it set to "ALL" all day is that if you have MultiPing's screen visible (ie: not minimized), then PingPlotter calculates the averages / packet loss / etc for the entire sample period - which means there is slightly higher CPU use.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod