Topic Options
#1090 - 03/05/04 06:51 PM Show Alert condition on MultiPing screen
Don B Offline

I've got over 20 circuits being monitored in MultiPing and Alerts set for each one. It would be handy to show on the MultiPing screen when a circuit is in an Alert condition. Maybe the background showing the [A] could change color or something. Sometimes its not always easy to tell which one is causing the alert because I've got the same alert tone set for multiple destinations.

It would also be useful to show which Alert condition was set for a given circuit. The [A] could change to a number or letter sequence.

Great program already even in the 1.0 version.

#1091 - 03/05/04 07:08 PM Re: Show Alert condition on MultiPing screen [Re: Don B]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Don.

We'll add your voice to the enhancement request to graphically show which hosts are alerting.

Just as an FYI, one way you can see which host is alerting is by turning on the tray icon popup message and including $host in the message someplace. That way, you can look at your tray to see which host most recenly fired the alert.

As for showing which alerts are associated with a specific target, this probably needs a bit of thought. Maybe if we let you pick your own letter when you create an alert, and then display that letter (or multiple letters, for multiple alerts)? Would it make sense to allow multiple characters here, and then the alert column could look something like this:

[>500, PL] (two alerts, comma separated)
[5%] (two alerts, single-character, no comma separation)

What makes sense here? Should we allow more than one character as an alert "abbreviation"? Does it make sense for *you* to pick your abbreviation? What characters should be allowed? Should duplicate labels be allowed?

Now, let's combine your two ideas a bit. How about if we let you pick two labels, one associated, but not in alert state, one for in alert state. That way, you could use "a" for not alerting, "A" for alerting (and b/B, c/C) or some combination of things like this. This does probably call for some kind of color too, though.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the feedback!

#1092 - 03/05/04 08:15 PM Re: Show Alert condition on MultiPing screen [Re: Pete Ness]
Don B Offline

Pete,
Good ideas for reflecting my thoughts.
In my current application I've just got 3 different kinds of alerts defined: frame relay slow (> 200 msec for 5/7 samples), Internet slow (>300 msec, 7/10 samples), fast backbone connection (>100 msec., 3/5 sample). So just having a single letter for each would be enough combined with a color code. Color code could be like OK (green), alert condition met but not enough samples (yellow), alert condition met for sufficient samples (red). Revert to yellow when transitioning back to normal.

I like not taking up too many characters for indicating the alert state. Not sure I'd want to give up too much real estate as I'm always showing all possible columns. I find each one gives me good information.

Thanks for listening.

#1093 - 07/11/04 11:27 PM Re: Show Alert condition on MultiPing screen [Re: Don B]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to echo that comment about all columns. Everyone of the possible headings is displayed when I use MultiPing. I sort on PL% so I can always see my worst offenders without scrolling down. But I agree they're all important. I would suggest the default be on. Would be even better if the workspace file captured these settings so I wouldn't need to reset them each time I restart the application.

Thanks

#1094 - 07/12/04 01:25 AM Re: Show Alert condition on MultiPing screen
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Ray.

I just want to clarify just a bit on your coment: "Would be even better if the workspace file captured these settings so I wouldn't need to reset them each time I restart the application".

The visible columns are saved as a global MultiPing setting. The only thing that's not saved between sessions is the sort order.

Is that consistent with your experience? If we saved the sort order, would restarting show the view consistent with your expectations?

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod