I just gave a short time period (of a scan of over 36hours) so that the first line would clearly show the alteration of the local 192.186.x.x. IP pings and the first 10.x.x.x pings. Perhaps what I didn’t clearly state is what’s going on in line 1.

When a ping is recorded in line 1, it shows the ping as coming pack from 192.168.x.x (puna7-etc.) at the left end of the line. On the next ping, ithe legend at the left end of line 1 shows that it is dealing with pings from 10.x.x.x, I.e. the same IP as line 2. When this happens, a ping is recorded in line 2, but line 1 is just greyed outfit that cycle. This alternation continues but there are the odd cases, one is shown on the chart I provided, where doesn’t happen.

Put another way, on one cycle, a ping is recorded from 192.168.x.x only on line 1 and on the next cycle, a ping is recorded from 10.x.x.x only. (Note that when a ping is recorded on line 1 from 192.168.x.x, no ping is recorded on line 2.)

As for packet loss, I have pinged 192.168.x.x for a time with no packet loss being recorded. During the cycle where packet loss was recorded was recorded, line 1 was actually looking at 10.x.x.x.

I was not really asking what’s going on with my Internet service. Rather, I was wondering why PingPlotter was alternating between two IPs.

Initially, I got PingPlotter because I was having trouble with my Bell DSL service. It turned out to be a noisy line and they couldn’t find a good one. So I moved to Cogeco. The service is generally very good, but they acknowledge that they have an unlocated intermittent fault somewhere on our street. Over a period of about 15 minutes, the packet loss would go from 0% to 100% on hop 2. After waiting a while, resetting the modem generally restored service. I notice that the the IP address for hop 2 changed a couple of days ago, so perhaps the problem is now fixed.