Hi Frank,

Thanks for posting in the forum!

Thanks also for providing a good explanation of what you're seeing and a screenshot, very helpful. I'm happy to give you my two cents on what I'm seeing based on your data. That said this screenshot only represents about a minute of time and it's important to trace for a long period of time (we suggest 48 hrs) before being able to confidently establish what and where the issues are.

In your screenshot, I see that the first four hops are all internal private addresses (10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 and 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255) and the first public address (209.85.173.40) is Google. This is interesting but it may just be how your ISP (Cogeco.ca) has set things up. The latency to 8.8.8.8 (24.1 ms) is pretty good so I wouldn't worry about that too much. What I would suggest looking into is the packet loss that starts at hop #1 and goes all the way through to the destination.

This means that the issue is likely originating at your router (192.168.0.1) and any packet loss, even 4.2%, can be problematic. It sounds like your router is separate from your cable modem so one thing you can try is plugging your computer directly into the modem (with an ethernet cable) and see if the packet loss is still present. If it's gone when connected directly to your modem than that means it's being introduced by your router. If this is a consistent issue you may need to factory reset (Google the manufacturer and model number with the words "factory reset") your router. If the issue persists after a reset you may need to actually replace your router. If you lease the router from your cable company you can usually just ask for a replacement.

If this issue still exists when just plugged into the modem than that suggests that the packet loss is being introduced by the modem rather than the router. Again, if you lease the equipment from your cable company you can usually just ask for a replacement.

If you want to trace for 48hrs and send us the results we would be happy to take a look at that as well, just create a share page (File -> Share -> Create Share Page) and send the URL for the page to support@pingman.com.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

thanks,

-Poe