Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand my poor VOIP performance. Ping Plotter Pro has shed much light, and what I see in the light has created confusion. For background, my network consists of a Zywall 110 router, and a Zonet gigabit switch. Comcast just replaced my modem with a brand new one. I'm in Aurora CO, a suburb of Denver.

To troubleshoot, initially I pinged my modem at 10.1.10.1. No packet loss and very minimal latency. So it seems like my hardware is OK.

Then I pinged Phone.com, my voip provider of the moment. Lots of packet loss, and lots of latency, that seem to originate a few hops in on Comcast's network.

Then I plugged directly into the modem. Much less packet loss, and still quite a bit of latency, but not much variation in latency. The latency I'm seeing seems much higher than what others are seeing.

It doesn't matter what I ping, this pattern holds. Also, there are 2 or 3 Comcast servers/routers that I hit every time I ping something.

So is it possible that my router is doing something to my packets that is somehow causing packet loss?

Should Comcast's network be better, or is it as good as it gets?

Thank you all in advance,

Ross

Here are some screen shots:

Attachments
comcastfrommodem.png (480 downloads)
Description: Pinging comcast.net directly from the modem. Should be best case, but results are not ideal

comcastfromrouter.png (500 downloads)
Description: Pinging comcast.net from behind my router. Notice the extreme lag at .121. It shows up in every situation. Hop 2 is my modem.

phone_comfrommodem.png (490 downloads)
Description: Pinging phone.com from my modem. Not great, but perhaps manageable packet loss.

phone_comfromrouter.png (456 downloads)
Description: Phone.com from behind my router. This does not work well with voip.