Update for the day,
They sent another tech out today, with the same test equipment they have been using, which for the most part, just checks the line (distance, shorts, signal quality, ext..). They wanted to try another modem again, which after the other 4 not working I figured it was a waste of time, but there the techs I let them give it a try, it didn't help. They also changed some more wiring somewhere down the line, still no change.

I'd say I probably have more knowledge on how the system works than your standard every day internet user. I have been on a computer since I was 5 years old, I have became my family, and friends go to guy for computer help and networking problems, i have probably built 15 computers, set up multiple networks and internet connections. My dad spent 20 years in the Air Force working electronics, radar, jamming ext.., so I learned from a young age how to trouble shoot problems, fix electronic devices, and understand sometime electronic devices just stop working for no logical reason, there are 1000 of reasons why something electronic could malfunction. I even programmed a microcontroller, and interfaced it over Bluetooth to a cell phone. My point being, I'm not going to give up like most people, when I'm told we don't see anything, everything is working fine.

I first noticed this problem because my internet, seemed to take forever to respond at times. I started running speed test, and trying to figure out why, paying close attention to what happens at the times I see a problem. I found using speedtest.net that it didn't seem to be so much a speed issue, it acted like the internet just froze, which you can see on the meter, when it stops moving or the test takes 5x longer than normal to run. This is when I found pingplotter and decided to see if it showed the same thing. Pingplotter shows a problems the same time the speed test site freezes, this tells me something is defiantly wrong, as I can see my trace stop for 10 seconds at a time.

Most of the techs don't want to look at this data, because it's not one of there tools, they don't understand it, and they already think everything is ok, because you have DSL, and the line looks good. It wasn't till after 3 techs being here, and saying everything is ok, did the local manager finally come out, and agree to look at things the way I see it, and give me a chance to explain why I can see a problem. After he finally agreed with me, he called someone high up the chain of command that knows the other side of things (not just wires to my house), he told them to run over to the central office, and look for the same problem there, finally we are getting somewhere!!! The problem was the same connected directly to the central office, so the problem has to be in there networking equipment somewhere.

Here are some things I have learned through my days of dealing with this, and things they have said and how I had to defend why I still believe theres a problem. Hopefully somewhere down the line this helps someone else.

In most of the bigger ISP's there are many levels of support, and techs, trying to find someone that understand the whole system is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Most of the time the techs at your house only have access to the wire/line side of the network.

Getting someone that can trouble shoot beyond that point takes someone from another department.

The techs keep saying everything is ok, theres nothing more they can do. Keep calling in and reporting the problem, the more times you call, and the more times they come out, the higher up in tech support you get.

I was told it's hard for the techs to get someone to trouble shoot the network side of things, until they have ruled out every other option, if you give up when they say that's all they can do, you might not ever get that far. On the downside be ready to spend the next few days getting to know the tech support guys by there first names and sounds of there voice.

speedtest.net is not something we can accept as a reason why your internet is not working, the freezing and delays could be on there server. True it could, but I have ran 100's of test there, I know how long it takes when it's working the right way. I may believe sometimes the sight is slow, but not test after test. speedtest is testing to one server, I am running pingplotter to google, they both stop at the same point in time. The chances of two random servers on the internet to stop responding at the same times every time, is very highly unlikely. I have my own web site, nothing big just for personal use, it is split between multiple servers, so when something on one stops the others keep the sight up so I have no down time, google is huge millions of people use it every day, the chances of them only having one server for there web site, not likely. So in theory even if one google server is having a problem, it would just route me to another server, and my trace would still go through.

It's the internet we can't control it, that's just the way it works. For me to have problems on more than one web site, not just one, means all of those sites have to be having a problem at the same time. Also as I said above, most big sites are going to have more than one server to split the load, the chances of all of these servers on the internet, all having problems at the same time, is not likely.

This is the best it's going to work. It worked for 3 years just fine, for it to stop now means something changed. I didn't move my house down the road and make the wires longer. I didn't change anything in my house. Which brings up another good point, plug your modem into the box out side your house, connect directly to it, use a network cable and not wireless, maybe try another network cable if your already using one, if you get the same problems here, you can rule out all your house wiring, until it works out side, it wont work inside, this also rules out a bad router or wireless problem ext.., the only thing now are your modem, their wires, and their network, try a new modem, and get the same results, it's some where before your house.

It could be a viris or addware. It could yes, but I have more than one computer, they all do it, the laptop thats running ping plotter was just reformated, and has had anti-viris and firewall on it the whole time, all of my computers have had anti-viris and firewall on them from the time I built them, or got them. Have the tech use his computer and get the same results, if they want you to rule this out.

I may think of more later, hopefully this helps some other people out there.

Edited by TJ05 (03/30/12 02:20 AM)