Hi, Maghnus.

Based on experience of other users and your descriptions:

Double, Triple, and Quadruple check for a firewall, or some piece of software that is acting as a firewall. We've had numerous people report that they were having the same problem, and then found some piece of software that installed a firewall of some kind.

Places to check:
  • On your network card's protocol list. Some services (like the AT&T Network Client VPN software) install a new service associated with each network adapter which can filter out ICMP.
  • In your task list (ie: TaskInfo 2003)
  • In the control panel "Services" applet.
  • Examining your list of recently installed software. I often do this by sorting my Program Files directory by date, then look for anything that might be network related, or that might have had the opportunity to cause a ruccus (ie: I don't know what it is).
  • Others? There are probably other good places to look here, but I can't immediately think of them.
We've heard this same complaint a number of times, and in every case where the user has reported back to us, it's been some kind of software running on the PC - and not a DLL conflict.

As a note, PingPlotter's UDP and RawSockets mode depend only on the Winsock stack, and you'd get an error in PingPlotter 2.50 if it was unable to construct these packets correctly.

- Pete

Edited by Pete Ness (04/27/04 03:16 PM)