Topic Options
#3921 - 02/02/22 05:06 PM Packet Loss (especially at night)
ian258 Offline

I'm going to try to make this super short, so basically I've been feeling super slow when playing online games and noticed that I get packet loss (from 1% to 7% it goes up and down) in all of the games I play... Packet loss gets really bad especially at night around 7pm and after so I downloaded ping plotter to see what could be causing and don't really know a lot, that's why I'm making this post I also called at&t which is currently my ISP and they say everything is fine (but is really not I just don't know what is causing it) also I'm using the 1000mbps plan (keep in mind I'm also the only one connected at all times)

Things I've tried:

-Getting & trying new and multiple routers (same results)
-Factory resetting my router (same results)
-Disabling the network firewall (same results)
-New and different OS (same results)
-New PC (same results)
-VPN (same results just higher ping and ton of disconnects)
-Opening ports (same results)
-Most if not all basic troubleshooting

I want to know what can I do to to fix this issue cause I can't play online games properly
( I know the tracert won't show what is causing the problem but I thought It was worth mentioning)

Attachments
Tracert.txt (155 downloads)
google.com.png (73 downloads)
fortnite_tracert.txt (160 downloads)
Description: So heres what I see on pingplotter also a tracert to the games server, I don't know why I get a ton of requested timed out my friend told me a couple ones is fine but I get more than 8 which apparently is not fine

Edited by ian258 (02/02/22 05:19 PM)

#3924 - 02/04/22 04:56 PM Re: Packet Loss (especially at night) [Re: ian258]
TJM Offline

Hey Ian258,

Thanks for reaching out!

After reviewing the screenshots included with your post it looks like you are referring to the packet loss/nonresponding hops in the middle of the route.

When you see all that packet loss show up in a trace, it's natural to think something is wrong. However, as long as this packet loss doesn't carry through to the destination, it's not something to worry about!

This sort of packet loss indicates that (hop #10,13,14,etc) is "de-prioritizing" or dropping ICMP Time Exceeded responses. This behavior affects only the returning information and does not affect forwarded packets.

If you're interested, here are a couple of articles that can explain this concept a bit more:

One Poorly Responding Router
Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss

Moving forward, I suggest running PingPlotter traces directly to your game server (which appears to be 52.203.3.55) while playing games to try and correlate in-game behavior with PingPlotter results. Along with that targets such as the Google DNS server (8.8.8.8) or the Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1) are both good targets to get a baseline for your network conditions.

Along with that, considering you have tried troubleshooting a large majority of your local/home network it is definitely possible for your network issues to be originating outside of your home network (hop 2 and on) however, I suggest collecting more PingPlotter data to help confirm/deny this.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if this leaves you with any additional questions!

Best of luck,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod