Topic Options
#3646 - 04/19/20 07:19 AM Ping Spikes and Package Loss issues
Jerome Offline

Hey there!
I am experiencing frequent lag spikes and packet loss while gaming on my connection.
I tried to see where the issue is coming from, however my pingplotter results just show that every hop seems to be a part of the issue.
I also tried to use a VPN to get around bad routing from my ISP, but that didn't really help either.

The IP I am pinging to seems to be the game server (at least that's what my PC tells me when I type netstat -b)

Thank you in advance!

#3648 - 04/20/20 06:07 PM Re: Ping Spikes and Package Loss issues [Re: Jerome]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for writing into the forum!

It's hard to tell from a screenshot what may be going on here but I can give a place to start. Since hop #1 and hop #2 are both showing 100% packet loss you can't rule out that the issue might be starting with one of them. Generally, 100% packet loss and no other information means that those devices are not responding to any ICMP echo requests or where the packet's TTL = 0. You can learn more about why you're seeing this in this article.

In your screenshot, it seems as though you go through 5 hops before exiting your private internal network to a public domain (62.117.4.2 at telecolumbus.net). Was trace taken when using the VPN? If so I'd recommend not using the VPN while testing. Generally, it's only one or two hops before you exit your private network.

If the devices at hop #1 and #2 are within your control I'd recommend changing their configuration (even if just temporarily to allow ICMP echo requests). Google the make and model of the devices and "ICMP" and see what it says about changing those settings.

You could also try using TCP and see if they respond any better with a different packet type. To do this you can follow these instructions:

To use TCP packets you can set up a [**Named Configuration**](https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/named_configurations.html) (**Edit -> Options -> right-click on Default Settings -> New Configuration**) and set it to use port 80 or 443. Once you have created it and given it a unique name (TCP or something similar) you can then select that config in the **Settings** dropdown menu before deploying a trace and it will use that config for that particular trace.

Let us know what you find and if there are any other questions we can answer for you!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod