Topic Options
#2903 - 09/01/16 09:02 AM Transition from PPP 3.4 to Latest
JohnO2016 Offline

I'm test driving the latest PingPlotterPro, having used 3.42 for quite a while. I need to watch about 15 targets. In the old version I fire up the app and load a saved workspace. Very intuitive, it opens up just like I had saved it--graphs and all.
Now with this new version I just downloaded, I can't figure out how to save my workspace and then open it up and start running. This has changed in a big way. So far, I can open up all my targets but they default to 2.5 sec and the graphs don't open.

#2905 - 09/01/16 07:08 PM Re: Transition from PPP 3.4 to Latest [Re: JohnO2016]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey John,

It sounds like what you need is PingPlotter set up to automatically load all of your targets every time it is started. Let me run you through getting this set up:

The first thing to do is to add all the targets you wish to trace to, and set all of the configurations to your liking. The workspace you setup will stay the (active) workspace, until the first save happens for a target you have added to the workspace (the default is 5 minutes). You can check to see if your targets have been saved, by if there is a check mark to the right of the name for each tab (summary tabs won't ever have anything but an x). If you don't wish to wait, you can simply right click on each new targets name and select "Keep (auto-save)", which will automatically save it and add the check mark. You'll want to set up your custom summary tabs and everything to your liking before moving on.

Once all of your targets have a check mark and you have your custom summaries, it may help with confusion to rename your workspace. You can do this by clicking "Workspace" -> "Rename Workspace" and then create a new name for your workspace.

Lastly, to set it to auto-load on program start up, in PingPlotter go to "Workspace" -> "Start New Workspace". This will land you on a fresh instance with a "Looking for something?" screen. Here, you can click on the drop-down and select the workspace you just renamed. You'll want to put a check-mark in the "launch on startup" option, and then click the "open" button. Once you've done this, your new workspace you have selected will automatically load on startup from then on.

You can read more on this here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/workspaces.html

Another thing you could do is to keep your "workspace" running at all times, even if the GUI is not open - by making use of the service instance (which is a heck of a lot better now than it was in version 3 or 4, because it does not even communicate with session 0 anymore - it now just runs seamlessly on your desktop!)

You can tell if PingPlotter is running as a service if you're on a summary screen (i.e. - your "All Targets tab) there is an indicator in the upper right-hand corner of the program that states "Connected to Service".

If “Connected to Service” is not there, here is how to install the service instance: Click on the start button -> "All Programs" -> "PingPlotter 5" and click on "Uninstall or Modify Installation". This will open up a new window. Click "Next" -> "Modify", click on "Collect data in the background" and then click next and finish the installation.

Here is more information on running as a service:

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/running_as_a_service.html

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself with any other questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to email us at support@pingplotter.com. 

Cheers! 

-Phillip

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod