Topic Options
#2885 - 07/29/16 04:36 AM Real problem or just wrong measurement - Ping frequency
Ralph Offline

I run pingplotter pro on a Lenovo laptop i5 processor, Windows 10, no other activity on the laptop.

Object is a company network, where we experience sometimes VPN interruptions. Network is set up as a usual inhouse network with mix of wires and wireless connections, router to cable provider, connected to the world wide chaos.

I ping two sites, one is our VPN server (remote = outside of the local network) and www.google.com. Ping = port 80 access.

When I ping 1 site, no packet loss.
When I ping both sites with a frequency of 2.5 seconds per ping, no packet loss.
When I ping both sites with a frequency of 1 second per ping, I get massive packet loss (> 90%) on both pings on first hop = cable router.

Should I really assume that the cable router cannot digest this amount of traffic? Not realistic, because under normal conditions up to twenty people can work here easily, with substantial traffic.

Or am I trapped by wrong measurement, because, pingplotter is not capable to digest the incoming information fast enough?

Thx for some insight here.

#2886 - 07/29/16 05:35 PM Re: Real problem or just wrong measurement - Ping frequency [Re: Ralph]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Ralph,

The situation you've outlined here is one that I run into *all* of the time at home - if I start tracing to a few targets, or set a lower trace interval, my router (at hop #1) will slowly and surely start to show 100% packet loss.

This isn't unusual behavior, though - some devices just aren't fond of having multiple ICMP echo requests targeted at them. When they start to receive a lot of requests targeted at them in a short amount of time - they'll start to down prioritize them to make way for what they believe to be more important traffic (and thus, start to display packet loss).

As long as this packet loss doesn't seem to be passing through to the hop directly after it (or through your whole route to the final destination), then it's usually nothing to worry about - and you don't need to worry about factoring it into your troubleshooting efforts. If you're interested, we've got a few knowledge base articles that cover this concept in more detail. Have a look here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/6

And here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/5

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself with any other questions - just let us know.

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod