Topic Options
#2313 - 02/01/12 03:47 PM Pingplotter - Sonicwall
Craigeb78 Offline

I just downloaded trial of Pro. for the most part standard windows pings work fine, but pingplotter is reported about 10% loss to all my destinations. I checked the logs in my sonicwall and I'm seeing:
"ICMP packet dropped due to policy", "ICMP Time Exceeded", and sometimes "ICMP Echo reply" instead of the time exceeded message.

Any ideas what I need to change to have pingplotter have results like Windows ping, because I don't get those messages when using standard constant pings.

Thanks!

#2314 - 02/01/12 06:33 PM Re: Pingplotter - Sonicwall [Re: Craigeb78]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Craig.

We cover some of the most common reasons behind these symptoms here:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/37

Do any of these look like your situation? Let us know where this information leads you and we'll be happy to do additional troubleshooting with you.

Best wishes,
Pete

#2315 - 02/02/12 10:55 AM Re: Pingplotter - Sonicwall [Re: Pete Ness]
Craigeb78 Offline

I tried a few things on that page. That only setting that seems to be giving me true results is setting it to only ping the last hop.

#2316 - 02/02/12 12:15 PM Re: Pingplotter - Sonicwall [Re: Craigeb78]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Are you seeing a lot of route changes where the route length changes? This is a very difficult problem - that is getting just the right amount of aggressive vs conservative in dispatching packets so we don't double-query and count for a specific target while still making sure it gets requests.

If the route is constantly lengthening and shortening, trace route is sometimes not very reliable (you might get similar results with the TRACERT command). We've addressed this in an upcoming release by doing a hybrid technique for the final destination that will sometimes not catch every route change exactly right, but it will get the latency and packet loss correct on the final destination. If you're a licensed user, you can grab that from http://www.pingplotter.com/beta and see if it solves your problem.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod