Topic Options
#515 - 05/08/01 03:20 PM Logfile not always created
Manni Offline

Loc: Austria
Hi!<br>Thanks for your great (master)piece of software - it helped me a lot in doing some kind of checking the SLA (Service Level Agreement) of our ISP...<br><br>My Problem:<br>I'm using version 2.20 (just registered); when I generate an alert and check "Log to text file" and do a trace against an internet server everything works fine - for example a file "Log for www.pingplotter.com.TXT" is immediately generated.<br><br>But when I try to do this for a server within my network or for a server within our VPN I do not get a logfile. It doesn't matter if I use the IP Adress or the DNS Name for that server.<br><br>I verified that the alert is correctly triggered by setting BEEP in the action field.<br><br>Do you have an idea ?<br><br>Thanks for your support<br><br>Manfred / ACP Tirol<br><br>

#516 - 05/08/01 09:35 PM Re: Logfile not always created [Re: Manni]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.<br><br>Intranet/Internet are not distinguished in any way in Ping Plotter. <br><br>First off, the fact that you're seeing the alert happen via "BEEP" is a good step in troubleshooting. This means that the alert is happening and I don't have to walk you through verifying that this.<br><br>Ping Plotter logs the alert based on the hop that you're monitoring - and the name or IP address of that hop. If the hop you're monitoring (and that is causing the alert) has a DNS name, that is the name that will be used in the log file. It's quite possible that the reverse DNS lookup for this hop may be different than name you entered. Also, if there is no DNS name on that hop, the file name for it will be derived from the IP address instead.<br><br>Another possible problem may be that the DNS name that is being resolved contains a character that isn't valid to have in a filename (ie: ", \, etc.).<br><br>If none of this sounds like the problem, please send me a Ping Plotter save file (.pp2) of the route on your intranet (5 samples is enough, but more is fine too) - and information about which hop you have the alert tied to. If this *does* sound like the problem, let me know and I'll help you with a way to solve the problem.<br><br>Pete<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pete Ness on 5/8/01 09:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

#517 - 05/13/01 12:28 AM Re: Logfile not always created [Re: Pete Ness]
Pete Ness Offline

I got your data file - thanks for sending it.<br><br>It turns out that there is a bug in the current versions of Ping Plotter. This bug exhibits itself in that the log file isn't written - and happens when there are hosts missing in your route. In the file you sent me, hop 1 had a host, and hop 12 had a host - the rest of the hops were not responding. Well, Ping Plotter didn't like this (for writing the log file at least...).<br><br>There is no workaround for this problem. It's a bug plain and simple. I'll see about getting this fix into the next release, but can't guarantee it. If this is critical for you, let me know and I'll see about sending you an interim release that corrects this.<br><br>Thanks for the great data you sent - it made duplicating the problem quite easy.<br><br>

#518 - 05/20/01 12:42 PM Re: Logfile not always created [Re: Manni]
Pete Ness Offline

This problem should be fixed in the newest release (2.30 - May 20th, 2001 release).<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod