Topic Options
#487 - 03/28/01 06:07 AM focusing on graph
Morpheme Offline

I must be missing something, but I don't understand how to focus on a specific time range in the graph. The help file says "if you see something interesting". I have the newest beta. I can scroll the graph back, and click (double click) on a certain spot. Sometimes I have to click way more than twice to get the line indicating I've picked a spot. Even then the data in the upper graph makes no sense to me. The current seems to be the current ping time at the time that I clicked it, not at the time indicated at that point on the graph. The max however seems dependent on the spot I pick. How do I get it so that the graph (above) shows what it would've shown at that exact time that I'm clicking on it?<br><br>If that is the way it's working, then I'm missing something badly. The reason is I have turned off autoscale and am using a scale of 250 ms, and when I see a spike that goes off the screen I would like to find out what the actual response time was then.<br><br>

#488 - 03/29/01 08:22 AM Re: focusing on graph [Re: Morpheme]
Sappy Offline

Morpheme, I'm thinking that the number that you have 'samples to include' set to is too high for what you intend on doing.<br><br>[P.S. don't forget to keep an eye on the 'Sample Set Time' near the top of Ping Plotter.]<br><br>

#489 - 03/29/01 03:17 PM Re: focusing on graph [Re: Sappy]
Morpheme Offline

100 is too high??<br><br>Please explain.<br><br>

#490 - 03/29/01 03:51 PM Re: focusing on graph [Re: Morpheme]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Using 100 for "Samples to include" will cause the upper graph to look at 100 samples. When you double-click on the lower graph, it *does* focus the upper window, but it focuses the "start" of the window, rather than the end of the window. The "Current" sample number is always the last one in the window. The window is enclosed in the lower graph by a focus rectangle - and the "Current" number is the very most right-hand sample in this window - the dotted line that shows the focus actually covers the current sample.<br><br>Because you always double-click on the start of the period you're trying to focus on, there has to be enough samples to not stay focused on the current (this is a bit hard to explain). Let's say you have 200 samples total in memory, and you have your "Samples to include" set to 100. If you double-click on samples 101 or higher, you won't get a change in focus. If you want to focus in on samples 1 to 100, you need to double-click on sample 1 - which would make the "Current" time display sample 100. You're right, this may need a review . This inconsistency really only affects things when you're looking at the current sample, though (which is something I don't do - and the reason I've never noticed this oddity).<br><br>100 may be a bit too big to try and focus in on (depending on your data and your needs). If you're interested in the "Current" numbers, then including the stats in on 99 other samples may make things harder to read. If you're only interested in the current number, you might try setting "Samples to include" at 1 - which would always only look at the sample you double-click.<br><br>Feel free to re-direct. I'm afraid the explanation I've offered here may not be quite as clear as I like.<br><br>

#491 - 03/29/01 06:59 PM Re: focusing on graph [Re: Pete Ness]
Morpheme Offline

Yes, I totally understand this. I take it switching the "number of current samples to include" to 1 rectifies this completely. I tried it and it's fine. Just wanted to confirm: switching that number to 1, then back to 100, is a good enough way to do this right? It wouldn't alter the dataset, and it wouldn't do anything to the graphs that isn't undoable simply by changing the number back to 100... unless of course I had a picture auto-save happen exactly when I switch the number of samples to include to 1 ( smile )<br><br>Maybe you could have it so that if you double click it selects a sample set size of 1 at that point, sort of a "view this point" function. Then have single clicks set up ranges. So you could click say, here, and then say, there, and have the statistics calculated for that whole period.<br><br>Then maybe have a control-click which does what a double click does now, i.e. pick a window with the number of samples currently set in the "num of samples" box.<br><br>Just an idea.<br><br>

#492 - 03/29/01 07:20 PM Re: focusing on graph [Re: Morpheme]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Changing the "Samples to include" is *completely* a display option. The data set is intact no matter what number you enter here. If the time for auto-save happens to hit right when you're doing your researching/digging, you're always going to get the picture just like it is on-screen, so the "Samples to include" change doesn't really make this any different (unless you forgot to change it back).<br><br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod