Topic Options
#4047 - 02/25/24 08:36 AM dropped packets between computer and gateway
videstra Offline

Hi: I am running PP on a machine that is showing extensive packet loss (>80%) between the client computer (Windows 10 LTSC) and the gateway. It only shows this packet loss when I run the tool to ping all the way to www.pingplotter.com.
To be clear - it is showing this massive packet loss between me and the gateway. There's about 8 hops to pingplotter.com and there are a few hops that don't respond (I understand this is normal) and at least one hop that also shows massive packet loss (>65%). Clearly there are problems but here's the odd thing...
If I run PP to just the gateway (in my case 10.15.4.2) there is no packet loss at all. It only shows packet loss between me and the gateway if I am tracing all the way to PingPlotter.com (and other targets of course).
I *think* this means there is something wrong at the gateway (overwhelmed, or misconfiguration .. ???).
Any thoughts from the hive here?

#4049 - 02/26/24 01:04 PM Re: dropped packets between computer and gateway [Re: videstra]
Tyson Offline

Hi videstra,

This sort of packet loss indicates that your gateway is "de-prioritizing" or dropping ICMP packets with an expired TTL value. When you target your gateway directly, it receives packets that don't have an expired TTL value and so it responds differently.

If you're interested, here are a couple of articles that can explain this concept a bit more:

Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
One poorly responding router

What you want to look out for is packet loss or high latency at the final destination. Until you see this, you can ignore everything else in the route. Here's a video that demonstrates how to analyze PingPlotter data: Analyzing PingPlotter Data.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod