Topic Options
#2823 - 03/28/16 10:12 PM I don't know if the problem is me or comcast..
houlihas Offline

I've attached a 12 hr snapshot. What gets me is that my connection goes down every 30 minutes almost like clockwork, save for a few occasions.

Comcast goes down in this area every week.. but I can't help wonder if this problem could be something on my network, I'm not sure. It's a really big network, strewn with dozens of random, un-monitored wireless routers and switches. The network is also considerably old (20+ years?), I've considered replacing all the patch cables and recrimping the uplinks just to be thorough.

Any ideas if this is me or my ISP? Any comments at all are appreciated.

Attachments
www.google.com.PNG (191 downloads)

Edited by houlihas (03/28/16 10:52 PM)

#2824 - 03/29/16 07:25 PM Re: I don't know if the problem is me or comcast.. [Re: houlihas]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey Houlihas,

I hope you are having a great day (well...besides the connection issues).

After taking a look at your screenshot, it *does* look like the issue is most likely with the connection between your computer and hop #1 (which is most likely your modem). Anytime you see packet loss that carries through to the final target, you can follow the packet loss up to the earliest hop the the packet loss starts at and the issue is *usually* between the hop before that hop, and that hop.

In your case, I think you would definitely be starting in a great place by replacing all the patch cables and re-crimping the uplinks. After doing that, trace for another 12 hours and see if there is a difference in your connection going down and the amount of disconnects that happens.

We have a great guide for troubleshooting your network using PingPlotter here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

I hope this helps. If you need any other help with this or anything else, feel free to email us at any time.

Cheers!

-Phillip

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod