Topic Options
#2531 - 07/28/14 04:36 PM Is the problem from my end of things?
Luscion Offline

So for the past two weeks i've been having trouble with World of Tanks in that my ping is constantly jumping from 130-ish ms to near 300ms. is the problem coming from my end? as i'm getting 100% packet loss starting from Hop 2. my ping used to be a steady 90-110ms (as i play on the NA server but dont live in america)

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=29a484-1406579654.png

#2532 - 07/28/14 05:00 PM Re: Is the problem from my end of things? [Re: Luscion]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Luscion,

The 100% packet loss you're seeing at hop #2 isn't necessarily anything to worry about as long as it doesn't seem to be continuing on through the rest of the route (which it doesn't appear to be in your screenshot). Some devices/routers simply don't prioritize timed out ICMP requests very high (or don't respond to them at all). We've got a knowledge base article that goes over this topic in a bit more detail:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/5

It does look like you've got a bit of packet loss at your final destination... but it's tough to try and diagnose what the culprit here may be without a bit more information. If possible - would you be able to send us over a .pp2 file (in PingPlotter -> "File" -> "Save Sample Set")? If you could send over this file (preferably from a time period when you were experiencing the issues you described) - we'd be happy to take a closer look at things and offer any advice we can.

Let us know and we'll be happy to help from there!

-Gary

#2533 - 07/28/14 05:19 PM Re: Is the problem from my end of things? [Re: Gary]
Luscion Offline

Thanks for the quick reply. glad to know it doesn't necessarily mean its a problem from my end like i believed.

Here is the .pp2 file from today as i'm still getting ping spike issues with this game. https://www.mediafire.com/?5b9ccy1s5elk7xm

#2534 - 07/28/14 08:03 PM Re: Is the problem from my end of things? [Re: Luscion]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Luscion,

Thanks for sending over the additional data!

From what I can see in the .pp2 file you've provided; hop #3 starts having some spikes in latency that end up carrying through the rest of the route. From this - we can rule out the World of Tanks server as being the potential culprit, as this appears to be bandwidth saturation that's occurring *very* early in the route. I've attached a screenshot from your results to better show what I'm referring to here. As you can see in the highlighted area in the image - the spike occurs at hop #3, and pretty clearly carries on all the way to your target (and this seems to happen multiple times throughout the results).

The packet loss that's occurring (starting at hop #5) could potentially be a result of this saturation as well. It could also imply an issue inside of that provider (Columbus Trinidad).

There's a definite possibility that the bandwidth saturation here could be happening somewhere between you and your ISP. Are you by chance using a wireless connection? If so - it may be a good idea to move to a wired connection, and try tracing from there to see if the problem persists.

It would also be a good idea (if possible) to disconnect everything else from your network while you try running PingPlotter from a wired connection. The goal at this point is to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to better narrow down what could be causing the issue here. If you notice that the connection seems to get better after disconnecting everything else, then you can begin reconnecting devices (one at a time) to see if you can narrow down any potential culprits there.

We've recently released an article that goes over some troubleshooting tactics and strategies that may be helpful to your situation here as well:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you have any other questions, or find yourself needing further assistance - please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

Attachments
dc11-sl-b21.worldoftanks.com.png

#2535 - 07/28/14 09:45 PM Re: Is the problem from my end of things? [Re: Gary]
Luscion Offline

I tried plugging the modem straight into my laptop and running Pingplotter but the results were about the same.
called my ISP and it turns out the problems are with them as many people are experiencing slower than paid for speeds and internet slow down. (i'm not experiencing any of this just packet loss) This happened two weeks ago but they said the problem was fixed, apparently not. Guess there's nothing i can do.

Thanks for all the help Gary! smile

Edited by Luscion (07/28/14 09:45 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod