Topic Options
#2523 - 05/10/14 07:46 AM New version of PingPlotter Std breaks ntwk conn.
DougCalton Offline

Installed latest update, and after that, if PingPlotter is opened (not even running pings or any activity yet), I can no longer reach anything. DNS resolves, but any pings, URL loads, email, etc, fail on my laptop with expired in transit messages. route table not changed. Not sure what PingPlotter is doing here, but shutting down PingPlotter returns laptop to normal. I tried a reboot to test, and same problem after rebooting.

#2524 - 05/12/14 12:15 PM Re: New version of PingPlotter Std breaks ntwk conn. [Re: DougCalton]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Doug,

We had a symptom that could possibly be similar to this happen a few years back where the multiple packets that PingPlotter sends confused a buggy router bios and caused the router to reboot. In that case - waiting for the router to reboot would restore network connectivity (although it could be immediately crashed again when it got more PingPlotter packets).

If you stop PingPlotter from pinging and wait a bit - does your connectivity return? We expect that it should - when stopped, PingPlotter is pretty non-intrusive.

PingPlotter does not do anything while running that should cause any problems with the network on your machine. Maybe theres firewall software objecting to it someplace?

In any case - this is definitely a strange one. If connectivity resumes when pinging is stopped (but PingPlotter is still running), could you submit a support ticket directly from the program itself ("help -> email PingPlotter support"), and include some info on your router so we can take a closer look at things here? If you get an error doing that (or that doesn't work), let us know, and we'll offer additional guidance on how to get that info over to us.

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod