Topic Options
#861 - 03/31/03 12:04 PM Trace by UDP instead of ICMP
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand that Linux has a traceroute that uses UDP (TCP?) instead of ICMP packets. I was wondering if such an option can be included into PingPlotter. The reason I ask is because there are some routers out there that do not handle ICMP and in such a situation, a UDP traceroute would be absolutely welcome.

I'm not sure if there is anything quite like this for the Windows users yet so this could be a first. If this can already be done, I'd appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Daniel

#862 - 03/31/03 05:19 PM Re: Trace by UDP instead of ICMP
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
We've actually done some work with UDP, but have a few hurdles to get it to work well with Ping Plotter (most focusing on measuring response times accurately - we've had widely erratic results where load has a big impact with our current trial implementation). This is an area we definitely want to move in to, however.

I have heard of a couple of utilities that do UDP pinging - although I don't have a list of them. If you can't find any of these tools, post back here and I'll do some digging for you.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod