Topic Options
#825 - 02/19/03 10:33 PM PP dialling ISP before sending Alert Emails
Anonymous
Unregistered

PP is being used in a remote dialup location to monitor links not connected to the internet. Can PP dial my ISP via Dial-up networking to send an email alert then disconnect afterwards so I can dial back in to repair faults, etc... is there a way in the configuration files to get it to do this???

Your help is appreciated, Alan

#826 - 02/20/03 01:37 AM Re: PP dialling ISP before sending Alert Emails
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This one is a bit won't work out of the box automatically. There are a some possiblities, though.

First off, it's possible to configure your box to auto-dial the internet when it needs it. I'm not familiar enough with configuring this to say that this is absolutely possible, but a bit of digging can probably give you some ideas on how to configure Windows (NT/2000/XP only, most likely) to route certain packets through an interface that needs to be auto-dialed.

Another possibility is to install some SMTP server software that will auto-dial when it gets an email. Install that on the local machine and have Ping Plotter deliver email to that software - which will then dial-out to deliver.

*Another* possiblity is to use the 2.40 beta version - which allows you to launch an external program. Find a launchable program that will cause the modem to dial - and then have Ping Plotter launch this program, in addition to delivering the email.

So, the *real* answer is that Ping Plotter doesn't know anything about modems - but you should be able to use other capabilites to get this to work.

I hope one of these gets you thinking down the path of something that will satisfy your need!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod