Topic Options
#713 - 06/27/02 01:54 PM non-DNS 'placeholder' naming?
anastrophe Offline

Loc: northern california, US
Hi, not sure if this has been suggested before (just got ping plotter two days ago). I work for an ISP, and due to obvious privacy concerns, many of our IP addresses at customer premises are 'anonymous' - for example, 66-224-155-155.vbbn.com. We don't want to put an identifier any more specific onto that address. However, it would be great if I could 'assign' a name to an IP address within pingplotter, so that i could select that address by our internally known record for that customer, for example, "bob bishop's router". It would be cool if such symbolic names could be kept in pingplotter for quick-n-easy access to a given address... thoughts?

#714 - 06/27/02 04:26 PM Re: non-DNS 'placeholder' naming? [Re: anastrophe]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
We're working on version 2.40 right now (which is currently in Alpha testing). This release has a feature where you can specify a name like:

22.33.44.55 Bob Bishop's Router

This will then show up in the history list just as you entered it, but will trace to the IP address you specified. Also, at the top of Ping Plotter, the destination will show as "Bob Bishop's Router". The final destination will still reverse resolve to the 22.33.44.55.vbbn.com address, though.

Save files will also default to be called "Bob Bishop's Router". Below is an example.

[img]http://www.pingplotter.com/images/Bob Bishop's Router.png[/img]

Is this what you had in mind?

#715 - 06/27/02 07:33 PM Re: non-DNS 'placeholder' naming? [Re: Pete Ness]
anastrophe Offline

Loc: northern california, US
Exactly! That's terrific. I look forward to the next version. Thanks for your efforts!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod