Topic Options
#485 - 03/28/01 05:47 AM range alerts
Morpheme Offline

First off, I love pingplotter! I believe I will register it for sure if it works as well as it seems to work. <br><br>My question is this. I want to set up ping plotter to monitor my connection to my default Gateway at my ISP (I have found that this is where most of my PL comes from, sad isn't it?). Graphs and so forth are great, as is the auto saving, but to me what makes PP the best is the alert feature. However, I wish there was some more flexibility. For example, I have set three alerts:<br><br>1- Over 50 ms... checks only the last 1 packet and if 1 or more are over 50ms it plays a certain over-50.wav.<br><br>2- Over 150ms ... checks only the last 1 packet and if 1 or more are over 150ms it plays a certain file: over-150.wav.<br><br>3- Crappy connection... checks the last 10 packets and if 3 or more are over 150ms it plays a certain file: badconnection.wav.<br><br>Now it seems from the behavior of the latest beta that alerts 1 and 2 don't jive well together. In fact it is obvious the way they are stated that if condition 2 is met, so is condition 1 (i.e. condition 2 is a subset of condition 1). In this case PP simply plays the alert for condition 1 (the over 50ms sound). This may have to do with playing multiple wavs at once, I don't know. But I am definitely not hearing the over 150ms sound when my packets are over 150.<br><br>I was wondering if it would be possible to include a feature so that you could do the following:<br><br>Generate THIS alert based on 1 packet in the last 1 packet being BETWEEN 50ms and 149 ms.<br><br>generate this alert based on 1 packet in the last 1 packet being OVER 150ms.<br><br>etc.<br><br>Or have it use some kind of exclusion logic. I'm actually thinking that if I reverse the order of my two rules (50 and 150) then maybe the one with the lower rule-ID number will take precedence, and that's what I want (obviously I want to know if my packet has a latency of over 150 more than 50).<br><br>Mr. Ness, any feedback? As you can probably guess I am using this to monitor latency and PL during gaming, and I want to send reports to my ISP for sure, but also I want to know when the ship I'm firing on is actually not where I see it to be, and to get warning when a battle is going to be laggy. :)<br><br>The other possible feature would be sort of the opposite. I.e. I want an alert when the connection gets better, so that say if in the last 10 packets, all 10 were UNDER 50 ms (or say between 0ms and 50ms) I want another sound played. I think it'd be pretty easy to implement for you, so I really hope you can find it in your heart to do this. <br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

#486 - 03/28/01 06:09 AM Re: range alerts [Re: Morpheme]
Morpheme Offline

Just a quick note. The post still stands, and my questions are still open. However I erroneously stated that the 50 and 150 ms rule were interacting badly, but found out it was because I forgot to add the 150ms rule to the current monitor. Now that they're both on, if a packet comes back with over 150ms response time the 150.wav file is played, not the 50ms. So it appears ping plotter is pretty smart in this way.<br><br>Still, what I said about ranges and positive responses (i.e. under a certain time) still stands. I haven't found any discussion about this on any of these boards.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod