Topic Options
#3994 - 04/30/23 06:54 PM Packet loss and high latency at the first hop
Jibroni Offline

So, as the knowledge base articles say, if there is no packet loss and spikes in the RTT at the last hop, there is probably not an issue. So to be sure, even if I see issues arise at the first hop, or my router, its still not a concern if I don't also see it affect the final destination, or last hop?

Edited by Jibroni (04/30/23 06:56 PM)

#3995 - 05/02/23 01:39 PM Re: Packet loss and high latency at the first hop [Re: Jibroni]
Sean B. Offline

Hey Jibroni,

Thanks for posting. In most cases you are correct, if the earlier hops show issues such as packet loss or high latency but, it does not show at the final hop then those hops are likely not affecting the overall traceroute.

That being said, if you have packet loss appearing on Hop 1 it might be worth targeting your local devices to see if that packet loss is consistent. I would also encourage you to have a variety of targets to have a better idea of the health of your network.

Feel free to share any PingPlotter data you collect here or send it to us at support@pingman.com and we can look over your PingPlotter data. To export data in PingPlotter go to File > Export Sample Set (PP2).

Let me know if there are other questions you have or if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Sean Badten

PingPlotter | Technical Support Engineer

#3997 - 05/03/23 04:43 PM Re: Packet loss and high latency at the first hop [Re: Sean B.]
Jibroni Offline

Originally Posted By: Sean B.
Hey Jibroni,

Thanks for posting. In most cases you are correct, if the earlier hops show issues such as packet loss or high latency but, it does not show at the final hop then those hops are likely not affecting the overall traceroute.

That being said, if you have packet loss appearing on Hop 1 it might be worth targeting your local devices to see if that packet loss is consistent. I would also encourage you to have a variety of targets to have a better idea of the health of your network.

Feel free to share any PingPlotter data you collect here or send it to us at support@pingman.com and we can look over your PingPlotter data. To export data in PingPlotter go to File > Export Sample Set (PP2).

Let me know if there are other questions you have or if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Sean Badten

Well, can you explain this result here? This is to a game server for a game called Squad. I play on this specific server a lot, so I know my connection is fine. It seems to be not accepting ICMP requests, that much I understand. What I don't understand is the packet loss at my router, or the first hop. Its often at 100%. And I'm testing my connection to the router itself, along with other devices in the network, so I know my LAN connection is fine. So does this really just mean that the router is also somehow blocking ICMP requests pertaining to this particular server?

https://images4.imagebam.com/c9/3d/cf/MEKM2ZF_o.jpg

Edited by Jibroni (05/03/23 04:45 PM)

#3998 - 05/04/23 04:45 PM Re: Packet loss and high latency at the first hop [Re: Jibroni]
Sean B. Offline

Hey Jibroni,

Yes, it's possible (as looks like the case here) for your local router to ignore/de-prioritize ICMP packets as well. You can test this by changing the packet type in PingPlotter (Edit > Options > Engine) and see if you get different results. It isn't necessarily based on what you're targeting, it's specific to the router itself. If you're targeting your local devices and don't see any packet loss, it's likely the router is configured to ignore ICMP packets. The final destination router looks like it is also ignoring those packets as well.

Hop 8 is the only outlier here, it's not known if it's affecting the end destination since the router already shows 100% packet loss. I'd test again under a different packet type and I'd also recommend getting data on another target (such as Google DNS 8.8.8.8) so you can compare to two together.

You can read more details on routers that are configured to ignore ICMP packets here (https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/one-poorly-responding-router-5.html). Let me know if you have more questions or if there's anything else you need.

Thank you,

Sean Badten

Edited by Sean B. (05/04/23 04:47 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod