Topic Options
#3943 - 04/27/22 10:25 AM Huge Packet Loss Starting at Hop 2
GreenTree Offline

I have cable internet from Comcast and the speed is very slow at the moment. Attached are two PingPlotter files that show huge packet losses starting at hop 2. How should I interpret this? Comcast is coming over to my house to troubleshoot. What should I tell them? Thank you.

Attachments
cnn-04-27-2022.pp2 (181 downloads)
nfl-04-27-2022.pp2 (137 downloads)

#3944 - 04/27/22 12:12 PM Re: Huge Packet Loss Starting at Hop 2 [Re: GreenTree]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi GreenTree,

Thanks for posting to the forum!

After taking a look at the 2 PP2 files that you attached (thanks for those!) it seems pretty clear that there is either an issue between hop #1 and #2 or an issue starting at hop #2 (96.120.70.5). I would ask your ISP to come out and check the line from the street to your building and to also check that device (96.120.70.5) for issues.

When you call in I would mention PingPlotter and offer to show them these results. If they don't have any good answers or just tell you to run a SpeedTest then I would ask to be escalated until you can talk to someone knows what you're talking about. You can even ask them to download PingPlotter for free and to load up the pp2 files so they can see all the packet loss starting at hop #2 for themselves.

Be polite but don't take no for an answer, be the squeaky wheel!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Poe

#3945 - 04/29/22 08:34 AM Re: Huge Packet Loss Starting at Hop 2 [Re: Poe]
GreenTree Offline

UPDATE:
Thank you for your help. You were right!

The problem turned out to be at the connection to the house. At that point, the cable line from the street was fed into two splitters in series to connect 5 or 6 different cables to various cable jacks in our house. The technician said this caused a ton of noise and interference at that point.

The solution was to connect the cable line from the street to only the single cable jack that our modem was connected to. All the other cable lines into the house were left disconnected.

Now my PingPlotter graphs show no packet loss at all!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod