Topic Options
#3919 - 02/01/22 04:43 PM Intermittent 100% packet loss
Randomguy Offline

I've been experiencing intermittent packet loss throughout the day while hardwired(to router or modem). It lasts anywhere from 8-30 seconds. I've been working with my ISP, but they are at a complete loss as to what is causing it. They aren't seeing any issues from their end.

Whether I'm hardwired to the router or modem, there will be instances where 100% of the packets will drop for a small period of time. I've confirmed this from my pc, laptop, and other devices(buffering at the same time as the packet loss). I attached a few screen shots to show what the pattern looks like. This pattern happens multiple times throughout the day. Any ideas? If you need any additional info/screen shots let me know. Thanks.

**Edit: Forgot to mention my ISP has replaced my modem twice, the cable from outside feeding the modem and checked the connections outside. I also tried a vpn, but was still getting these random drops.

**Edit2: Attached an example of my ping plotter graph over about 4 hours. Two of the big intermittent drops that I have been experiencing occurred at 9:02 and 9:35pm. My ISP isn't seeing these on their end. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments
Jan27PL.PNG (38 downloads)
Feb1PL.PNG (28 downloads)
Jan22PL.PNG (25 downloads)
Jan26PL.PNG (27 downloads)
PacketDropsFeb1.pp2 (148 downloads)

Edited by Randomguy (02/01/22 11:10 PM)
Edit Reason: added pingplotter data

#3922 - 02/02/22 06:20 PM Re: Intermittent 100% packet loss [Re: Randomguy]
TJM Offline

Hey Randomguy,

Thanks for reaching out!

Based on the screenshots/pp2 file that you have attached it looks like your packet loss issue is originating at the second hop in the route which should be your ISP.

In communicating your results (the packet loss originating at hop 2) here is a good article on how to build a solid case to bring to your ISP to get them to take a closer look at your issue.

Building A Case

If you have questions about this or we can help with anything else let us know!

Best of luck,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod