Topic Options
#3754 - 09/03/20 12:38 PM Interpreting packet loss.
epic Offline

I always see red lines on my router line but I'm not sure what is the cause. I am on wifi and experience random packet loss in game.

Attachments
DATA.pp2 (340 downloads)

#3755 - 09/03/20 01:22 PM Re: Interpreting packet loss. [Re: epic]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi there Epic,

Thanks for writing in to our Forums! I'm happy to lend a hand with these results.

It looks like your router is "down-prioritizing" ICMP TTL Expired messages. This behavior is common and does not affect your connection. ICMP TTL Expired messages are what traceroute uses and, thusly, PingPlotter uses to gain information from intermediate hops (hop #1 leading up to the destination).

To start isolating the origin of the packet loss, you'll need to:

1. Trace to your router
2. Trace to Google
3. Trace to your Game Server

Other than online forums and such, one way to find your game server is by using the command line:

1. Close all other applications, leaving only your game running
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the netstat -b command. Copy/paste the output to a text editor (i.e. notepad)
2. Then, run the command a second time after closing down your game.
3. Cross-reference your results. The address that displays in the first result, but not the second, should be your game server.

Or you could contact your game's support team and ask for the IP of your server. Community forums for the game are also a great place to search for this information.

Once you've nailed down the IP you're connected to, start tracing! If ICMP doesn't work, you'll just need to adjust your packet type and port number settings accordingly by creating a New Named Configuration . Nmap is also a great tool we use frequently to help find open ports/protocols for servers, then adjust PingPlotter's packet settings to match.

I'm not sure if you're using the Pro Trial, Standard, or Free so these instructions may vary. If possible though, trace to all 3 at once. Make notes while you're gaming if you experience packet loss, and check with PingPlotter when you're finished.

Here are a few resources which might help:

- Solving Wireless Issues

- Beat Game Lag

- Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss

If you believe you've captured a problem, you can create a PingPlotter Share Page and copy/paste the URL in your reply.

If the issue you're experiencing has been happening for some time (or if you just wanna make troubleshooting easier!), I'd highly recommend checking out PingPlotter Sidekick . This 'nifty tool was designed for home users and remote workers, and boasts a network troubleshooting suite - straight from their local web browser.

Complete with automatic target selection, guided walkthrough, and automated data collection and sharing functionality, this program gives our customers the information they need to fix their network connectivity; either by themselves, or by sharing evidence with their ISP.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions, and feel free to reach out to our support line at support@pingplotter.com

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod