Topic Options
#3698 - 06/06/20 07:49 PM Frequent packet loss on second hop, as well as large ping spikes during large downloads
Hammy Offline

For the past few months, I have been experiencing major packet loss on all hops after the second. After getting a new modem from my ISP, the issue has decreased in severity, but the problem arises at least once a day. This leads to large ping spikes when in games, as well as voice and video dropped from programs like Zoom and Discord. I have also upgraded my home recently with gigabit, yet when downloading large files, like a game, there is large amounts of ping spikes and packets dropped on all hops.

So far things I have done:
New modem from ISP
Contacted ISP multiple times, every time just ends in a restart of the modem.
upgraded internet to gigabit
Bought a third party modem
Replaced ethernet cable from modem to router

Any help would be appreciated.

https://share.pingplotter.com/dZuRVgiztwn

#3701 - 06/08/20 07:00 PM Re: Frequent packet loss on second hop, as well as large ping spikes during large downloads [Re: Hammy]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Hammy,

Thanks for getting in touch! I'm glad to lend some assistance here.

I imported your data into my instance of PingPlotter to take a closer look, and what I found was pretty interesting. It appears that there was about an hour-long "chunk" of spiked latency and packet loss starting at hop #1, but a handful of instances throughout the session indicated periods of latency spikes starting at hop #2.

My first thought here is that the hour-long chunk could be related to something like a game download, which may have been over-saturating WiFi (but that's just a guess). Regarding the other instances of spiked latency, those seem to be happening at hop#2, which is the first hop in your ISP's network.

Could you please tell me a little more about your network setup, and the problems you're experiencing with certain services? Does this issue happen on wired and wireless? At certain times of the day?

I see that you do have PingPlotter Standard, but we've also just released a new product called Sidekick. Complete with automatic target selection, guided walkthrough, and automated data collection and sharing functionality, this program gives our customers the information they need to fix their network connectivity; either by themselves, or by sharing evidence with their ISP.

If you'd like to know more about PingPlotter Sidekick, you can check it out at: https://pingplotter.com/sidekick

Lastly, here is an article about troubleshooting game lag, which might be of some use:

https://pingplotter.com/wisdom/article/beat-game-lag.html

I hope that helps! Please feel free to reach out with any additional information or further questions, I'm happy to assist.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 3.09.12 PM.png (263 downloads)

Edited by AustinB (06/08/20 07:02 PM)

#3702 - 06/08/20 11:29 PM Re: Frequent packet loss on second hop, as well as large ping spikes during large downloads [Re: AustinB]
Hammy Offline

The main problems I have been having are over voice communications like Zoom and Discord. Somewhat randomly it seems, with no downloads going or nothing, the voice and video will randomly stop working, or people I am speaking with will say I am starting to sound distorted. This happens on both wired and wireless.

Currently, I am running an Eero wireless system, with 5 eero pro beacons distributed throughout a 5000 sqft home. The pingplotter data shown is from a desktop that is connected to an eero node, so not directly to the node that is connected to the modem.

Also with the game downloads, is it normal to be experiencing that much latency even though I have upgraded to gigabit download speeds? The latency is the same from all computers, even ones directly connected to the gateway eero node.

#3703 - 06/09/20 05:34 PM Re: Frequent packet loss on second hop, as well as large ping spikes during large downloads [Re: AustinB]
Hammy Offline

Here is also some more data from a computer that was directly connected to the gateway eero.

https://share.pingplotter.com/7UmUWTf6EU5

Search

Who's Online
1 registered (Robertdee), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod