Topic Options
#3449 - 08/21/19 12:07 AM Help Trying To Identify Something
ydoC Offline

Hello! So I have been having packet loss for the past month now and I have been using PingPlotter to figure out where exactly the problem is starting. In the screenshots I've provided and looking at the support page I am more inclined to believe that this may be a hardware issue. The problem I am seeing is that it is happening at hop2 (10.82.0.1). I have done ping tests to 192.168.0.1 along with 10.82.0.1 when the issue is happening and the problem is only happening at 10.82.0.1.

Is there any chance that you guys may know what exactly 10.82.0.1 is? Would this be a splitter, mini-box for the TV, the tap outside of my home or something beyond it? I already replaced the modem/router two times along with the wire to the wall so I think I eliminated issues there. Also this issue happens specifically between 12PM-4PM and then again at 7PM-10PM.

Attachments
www.google.com.png (105 downloads)
www.google.com2.png (68 downloads)
www.google.com3.png (107 downloads)
www.google.com4.png (81 downloads)
www.google.com5.png (85 downloads)

#3451 - 08/21/19 04:17 PM Re: Help Trying To Identify Something [Re: ydoC]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi ydoC,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your internet connection, that's always super frustrating.

After taking a look at your attached screenshots I see what you're talking about, it certainly seems that the issue originates at 10.82.0.1 and goes through to the final hop.

If you have an IP address (10.82.0.1) and you are unsure who it belongs to, you can always do a WHOIS search (google WHOIS and you'll find several). The 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 address range is reserved for private networks only and is not publically routable on the internet. This means that it's likely a device within your network, though it could also be a device on your ISP's side.

To find out, we have a handy tool that is built right into PingPlotter called Local Network Discovery (Tools -> Local Network Discovery). This tool will scan your local network and give you information about all of the devices on your network. It'll give you the IP address, MAC address, MAC Vendor, Hostname, Ping, Protocols, and finally Description if it's available.

Go ahead and do a scan and look for that IP address (10.82.0.1) and if it shows in your network then it's something between your router and your ISP (it could be your modem?). If it doesn't show up then it's on your ISP's side and you'll need to get in contact with them.

Here are a couple of good articles about building a case to present to your ISP:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network/outside-network-problems.html

https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/building_a_compelling_case.html

It seems like you have some pretty compelling evidence with those screenshots as they all show the same packet loss starting at hop #2 and going through to the final hop.

Good luck and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3452 - 08/21/19 04:51 PM Re: Help Trying To Identify Something [Re: Poe]
ydoC Offline

Thank you for the reply! I have done the Local Network Discovery tool like you suggested and that IP is not appearing within the scans. So this has me asking another question. Is this something an on-ground technician can fix? I have one scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I was wondering if they have the ability to fix this issue. Judging from what you said I have a feeling that they can't do anything and it will be more on the internal end of things.

#3457 - 08/23/19 03:12 PM Re: Help Trying To Identify Something [Re: ydoC]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi ydoC,

Sorry for the delay in reply!

Since this IP is outside of your network the tech likely won't be able to fix it but they can validate the issue and report it to someone who can.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod