Topic Options
#3100 - 06/17/17 03:15 AM Please help!
Lisa Offline

I am connected to internet via Shaw in Vancouver, BC using a cable internet connection on an advanced wifi modem which is a Hitron CGNM-2250.

I use the internet on 2 different computers both hard wired to the modem.

One is a PC running windows 10 and the other is an IMAC with OS Sierra 12.5 which I use for work.

On the mac for work I connect to a vpn and it requires a strong reliable connection however as I had crazy lag one day they suggested we test it using PingPlotter (which I had done in the past) and I discovered something was different with the ip address showing in hops 1 & 2.

As I recall it used to be the default router address first then something like 10.10.128.0 or something in the second one. Now I notice for both it has the address 96.55.32.1.

This somehow is causing it to spike up to 2000 ping every 10 seconds or so and I basically need help changing the wan IP address which I can do if i login to 192.168.0.1 I just need to know which number to put in which box basically and I think if I can do this successfully it will solve the problem.

I have already talked to shaw for hours and they have sent out a tech who fixed the signal which was also bad and replaced the modem but the problem still exists.

I use the internet for work and am on the verge of getting fired so hope someone can help me.

I am including a link to a folder showing screenshots from a ping plotter test done yesterday within the same minute which illustrates what I am trying to explain. Also a recent scan from today which shows crazy "average" pings due to it jumping up to 2000 ping between first and second hop approximately every 10-20 seconds.

https://goo.gl/photos/nHnQZfGCMbwAgw4Q8

#3101 - 06/19/17 02:49 PM Re: Please help! [Re: Lisa]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Lisa,

Thanks for reaching out!

It *looks* like you've already narrowed down what the culprit in your issue is here. From what we can see in the screenshots you've provided, it seems your theory here is correct - you've got some spikes in latency starting at hop #1 (96.55.32.1) that's carrying through your entire route to the final destination.

Changing the WAN IP address *may* help alleviate this issue, but we unfortunately don't have any knowledge of what IP address (or other settings) you'd need to enter here (sorry!). It may be helpful to reach out to whoever manages this WAN to see if they'd be able to be of any assistance with this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod