Topic Options
#2953 - 11/27/16 03:35 PM AWESOME use of Pingplotter to identify #2 selling modem is defective
Xymox Offline

Im a home user, not a professional. I have now purchased the full pro version even tho I cant afford it. Its been that good.

For almost a year Arris has been selling the SB6190 cable modem. Its based on the NEW Intel Puma 6 chip. Turns out there is a HUGE SERIOUS issue with the chip and maybe with the entire Puma line of chips from Intel. I used Multiping ( a long time owner ) and Pingplotter ( just purchased ) to isolate a issue and have forced Arris/Intel to officially admit to the issue.

Pingplotter allowed me to test TCP and UDP as well as ICMP and completely isolate the issue to the modem.

Pingman tools has changed the world as Intel's entire new Connect Home division is based on this chip. The new version of this chip, the Puma 7 for DOCSIS 3.1 and 10Gbps cable modem speeds has not shipped yet and its anticipated it will also have the issue.

Its a big deal thats being watched by reporters for a outcome.

Arris / Intel has said they can fix it with a firmware update. No one but Intel believes this. We are currently waiting for this firmware update.

This drama and lots of Pingman tools screen shots as evidence are on this forum post on DSLReports. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r310798...xLinear-mistake

The official Arris ack is on page 7. http://tinyurl.com/hegdau3

I do have a support question. Sorta. I need min/max plotting like in Multiping. I also like creating my own time spans that include months and years and I dont see hwo to do that anymore with a config file. Also there once was a addon that would give std deviation stats.

SO... Pingman tools is maybe changing a entire division of Intel and maybe causing a rethink by Arris to even use Intel VS Broadcom. GREAT TOOLS !!!!

Edited by Xymox (11/27/16 05:48 PM)

#2955 - 11/28/16 05:43 PM Re: AWESOME use of Pingplotter to identify #2 selling modem is defective [Re: Xymox]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi Xymox,

Thanks for sharing this, and thank you for the kind words! We love hearing that people are finding value in our tools, and we really appreciate your support and advocacy.

As for your support question (Min/Max graphing, STD Deviation, and custom timeline graph timeframes) - these features aren't in PingPlotter v5 as of yet. We've got enhancement requests open for all 3, though (which I've updated with some notes from your request here). I'll make sure these get in front of our team so we can see about the possibility of getting them into PingPlotter at some point in the future.

If you should ever find yourself with any questions, or needing any assistance - please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2960 - 11/30/16 08:24 PM Re: AWESOME use of Pingplotter to identify #2 selling modem is defective [Re: Gary]
Xymox Offline

Its been a GREAT help in getting Intel and Arris to address this issue. Its pretty high drama on the thread over there as it now has press coverage and Intel and Arris have fallen silent smile

DOnt buy a Intel based cable modem/router/gateway. They ALL have a serious issue.

Its gotten even more exciting as someone found the sourcecode for the modem and its online.

All this started with Pingplotter.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod