Topic Options
#2797 - 01/27/16 10:07 AM Server stopped replying to my IP
pmterp Offline

Hey Guys,
I was using ping plotter to monitor responsiveness when all of the sudden I realized I had a solid red bar across the bottom. I logged into a VPS and tried a ping from there and got successful results. Tried pinging from the command line on my PC, nothing. Connected my PC to a VPN and tried and get results. I'm assuming as some type of security measure it stopped responding to ping requests from my IP address. Have others ran into this? Are there best practices to avoid getting "blacklisted" by the server I'm monitoring?

#2798 - 01/28/16 07:00 PM Re: Server stopped replying to my IP [Re: pmterp]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hello!

This is definitely an interesting scenario - one that we've not come across before. I'm not sure we'd be able to help out much with any guidance on how to avoid getting blacklisted by a server (sorry!).

Is this *only* happening with this target, or do you see similar behavior when tracing to anything else? Are you only getting 100% packet loss at the final destination, or is it happening across all of the hops in your route?

Any chance you've got (or have recently set up) a firewall of any kind? If so, does disabling it (if you can do so safely, anyways) change any of the results you're getting? It may also be worthwhile to see if the target responds to any other packet types (TCP, UDP).

If there's anything else we can do to try and be of assistance - please let us know!

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod