Topic Options
#2760 - 10/21/15 11:34 PM Moving PPPro to a new workstation - Alert settings
Scott Simpson Offline

I did a search and found some older threads on the files I need to copy and move over but I can't find them in my old workstation.
The thread said to copy alerts.ini and multiping.ini files from the old workstation into the new workstation but I've done file searches on the old workstation and can't find anything with those file names related to PPPro.
Has the alerts file name changed?

#2761 - 10/21/15 11:45 PM Re: Moving PPPro to a new workstation - Alert settings [Re: Scott Simpson]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Scott.

File names haven't changed, but depending on how old the thread is, the specific directories have been tweaked a bit to better match user profile stuff. Have a look here for details on that:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/74

Best wishes,
Pete

#2765 - 10/29/15 11:16 PM Re: Moving PPPro to a new workstation - Alert settings [Re: Pete Ness]
Scott Simpson Offline

Thank you Pete. I copied every file in the old workstation Pingplotter Pro directory into the new workstation PPPro directory. So now the new directory has the Alerts file with all my old alert settings in it.
When I start up PPPro and select Alert Setup there are no alerts listed. I created a new alert but it doesn't show up in the Alerts file that has all my old alerts in it. So where is it saving the new alert I created?

#2766 - 10/29/15 11:33 PM Re: Moving PPPro to a new workstation - Alert settings [Re: Scott Simpson]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Scott.

The interesting files are probably here:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile name)\Application Data\PingPlotter

Normally, that's the primary place where files are stored, rather than in your Program Files directory. You can move these to the same place on the new machine.

On most new OSes (Windows 7, 8, 10), the files in Program Files are only used to load the "default" values, and then the ones in your profile are added on top. Leaving the default files in Program Files, and putting the ones with your modifications into the profile folder is usually recommended.

Hopefully, that clears things up.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod