Topic Options
#2682 - 06/20/15 11:38 PM Help interpreting data
Nahz Offline

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

I'm trying to understand the data I'm receiving I think I have a grasp of whats going on would just like a second opinion if possible.

This is my second modem and is almost 2 days old as of this post. I added in the router to help determine if the problem is happening before the modem and it doesn't appear to until the end. I marked several spots where my game play is severely affected and this use to happen maybe once an evening until about 4 weeks ago and now this will happen multiple times an evening mostly during peak hours.

What happens at the end only happens rarely but is seems as though the problem is within the network. This is where my modem does a complete restart on it's own.

Since the modem is new I'm assuing the issue is between the modem and my isp? My isp sent out a guy a couple of weeks ago and he replaced all the connections in the house.

Attachments
dc11-sl-b21.worldoftanks.com.pp2 (475 downloads)

#2685 - 06/22/15 01:21 PM Re: Help interpreting data [Re: Nahz]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Nahz,

Thanks for writing in - and thanks for sharing your PingPlotter data!

These are definitely some pretty painful looking results - and it *appears* that your trouble is starting somewhere between hop #1 and #2. You've got some packet loss and spikes in latency there that seem to be carrying through the rest of your route (and reaching your final destination).

The big question here is - what are the devices that are located at hop #1 and #2? In your message, you mentioned that you added in your router - so would this be the device at hop #1 (192.168.1.1), and would your modem be the device at hop #2 (10.241.112.1)? If this is indeed your setup - does plugging directly into your modem have any effect on the results you see in PingPlotter?

Your goal at this point should be to eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to better narrow down what the culprit here may be. We've got a guide that goes over some strategies and best practices for doing this, which may prove helpful to your cause. Have a look here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

If you should find yourself with any questions, or needing any further guidance - feel free to send over any additional information (and any other .pp2 files) you may have. We'd be happy to take a look and offer any advice we can!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2687 - 06/23/15 12:15 PM Re: Help interpreting data [Re: Gary]
Nahz Offline

Hello and thanks for the reply.
My router was indeed hop1 and modem hop2. I've since gone back to my original modem and let it run last night without the router. I am a bit confused because it appears as though the problem is happening somewhere between my computer and modem now but with the router plugged in it's between the router and modem if I understand correctly.

Attachments
dc11-sl-b21.worldoftanks.com_3.pp2 (459 downloads)

Edited by Nahz (06/23/15 12:15 PM)

#2688 - 06/23/15 01:17 PM Re: Help interpreting data [Re: Nahz]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Nahz,

Thanks for following up on this!

It seems like you've got a pretty good understanding here - the data you attached to your last message points to your issue being at the first hop (your modem), which would imply a problem between your machine and the modem, or an issue with the modem itself. At this point, it seems like you've narrowed down *where* your problem is, now you just want to see if you can identify the culprit that is causing you trouble here.

As I mentioned in my last message - your goal should be to eliminate any variables that you have control over. Is there any chance you're using the same cable when plugging your computer directly into the modem as you're using when you plug in your router? If so - does swapping this cable have any impact on your results? Can you move your modem to a different area in your home (to see if it's possibly something to do with the connection, or the power supply)?

Hopefully this helps to get you headed in the right direction! If you have any questions, or if you should find yourself needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2691 - 06/24/15 09:45 PM Re: Help interpreting data [Re: Gary]
Nahz Offline

Thanks again for the help I appreciate it.

I had the cable company come out again and they found a bad splitter in the attic and attributed my problems to this.

Your flow chart worked well smile

Edited by Nahz (06/24/15 10:20 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod