Topic Options
#2628 - 03/19/15 09:29 AM Pingplotter Latency vs Speed test
mikej345 Offline

During a troubleshooting session using Pingplotter I ran a speedtest before using pingplotter.

The latency results were around 50ms.

I ran pingplotter for around 45 minutes with the latency hovering around 180.

How can i explain this discrepancy?

Please note: The speedtest that was run points to the same location as the pingplotter address i was using. Or at least it should.

#2629 - 03/19/15 01:00 PM Re: Pingplotter Latency vs Speed test [Re: mikej345]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Mike,

When comparing PingPlotter results to the results from another tool - the first (and biggest) thing you want to make sure of is that you're tracing to the same location. I'm not sure what speed test tool you're using here - but you'll want to see which IP its pinging (if it tells you) - and make sure that's the same IP address you're tracing to in PingPlotter.

Past that - there are several different things that could be a culprit in the discrepancy you're seeing here. We've actually got an article that goes over some possibilities on this front (note: the article pertains to difference in packet loss between PingPlotter and a command line ping - but a lot of the information still applies to this situation as well). Have a look here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/37

If this leaves you with any questions - feel free to send us over some of your PingPlotter results ("File" -> "Save Sample Set"), with some screenshots of what you're seeing in the speed test tool - and we'd be happy to look into this further!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2631 - 03/20/15 10:14 AM Re: Pingplotter Latency vs Speed test [Re: Gary]
mikej345 Offline

I suspect it has to do with the bandwidth saturation. Thanks for the response!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod