Topic Options
#2585 - 12/11/14 10:56 PM Help!
gjj Offline

Would the results in the following image explain intermittent but daily (many times daily) internet problems on my network?
The big red packet loss section is when I disconnected an Ethernet cable.
A network support rep said he thinks the modem or ISP is the source of our issue. The jitter numbers in the summary are concerning him.

Thanks..I am new to using pingplotter and I don't troubleshoot networks as a profession. If I can supply any further info let me know.

#2586 - 12/11/14 11:01 PM Re: Help! [Re: gjj]
gjj Offline

Here is another screen shot from today from a PC wired directly to the Comcast modem:

#2587 - 12/12/14 11:51 AM Re: Help! [Re: gjj]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hello!

It's a bit tough to diagnose any issues based only off of just your screenshots here. I can see that a few of your targets are experiencing a bit of packet loss - but with the view we've got from the summary screen here, we can't see where that packet loss is originating from. Would you be able to attach a screenshot of the results from one of your target tabs (such as your trace to Google) so that we can get a look at your full route?

Your goal in troubleshooting this issue should be to correlate any network issues you're experiencing to any patterns you can capture in your PingPlotter results. From there, you can then begin to narrow down your culprit by eliminating any variables that you have control over. We've got some documentation that goes through the process of troubleshooting issues such as this in more detail, which you may find helpful here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you have any other questions, or if you find yourself needing further guidance - feel free to send over any other screenshots or .pp2 files (in PingPlotter -> "File" -> "Save Sample Set"), and we'd be happy to take a look and offer advice from there.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2595 - 01/02/15 12:10 PM Re: Help! [Re: Gary]
gjj Offline

Happy New Year Gary and thanks for your reply.

I had Comcast replace the modem and we can go now for a full week without problems but then we will get a day when Ping Plotter shows lots of packet loss and we lose internet connectivity until the modem is reset.
The odd thing is and hopefully you can shed some light on this, when Ping Plotter was showing 100% packet loss and we had no Internet, my LAN was fine and I, as well as the Comcast tech was able to access the modem GUI and use it's diagnostic tool to ping the same 8.8.8.8 at the very time that Ping Plotter was showing 100% packet loss and no Internet was accessible.
Power cycling the modem fixed it all.
The PC that I was testing from is wired directly to a port on the modem, bypassing am switches.
I had another test running on a PC connected through the switches and same result.
Has me baffled.
Thanks.

Edited by gjj (01/02/15 12:11 PM)

#2596 - 01/02/15 01:45 PM Re: Help! [Re: gjj]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hello,

Good to hear that Comcast is working with you - and things are seeming to get better!

As far as the one day a week that you're losing connectivity - its tough to tell what may be happening here without a bit more information. If possible, would you be able to send us over a .pp2 file (in PingPlotter -> "File" -> "Save Sample Set") from one of these periods? If we can get a closer look at what's happening, we'd be more than happy to offer any advice we can.

Let us know!

-Gary

#2597 - 01/02/15 02:58 PM Re: Help! [Re: Gary]
gjj Offline

Sure - here is a .pp2 for 8.8.8.8
It is current.
Sample Set

My goal here is to determine if it is a Modem/Comcast issue and not some problem inside my LAN. It is hard when I am down, ping plotter is showing packet loss but Comcast support can ping the modem remotely.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Edited by gjj (01/02/15 03:04 PM)

#2598 - 01/02/15 04:49 PM Re: Help! [Re: gjj]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Thanks for sending over the .pp2 file - we appreciate it! From what I can see in your results here - it definitely looks like there's some sort of issue occurring between hop #1 and #2.

There are a few different issues that we can imply from this (assuming that hop #1 is your modem, and #2 is the first device outside of your network). It *may* be a line problem; or it could possibly be bandwidth saturation. Are you finding that there are certain periods (evenings, weekends, etc) where you encounter this problem more often? Most of the packet loss in your results here seems to have happened between 1pm-11pm on the 1st (a holiday - so it could be that quite a few people were home & using the internet that day; causing some saturation).

The best course of action here would be to continue collecting data with PingPlotter to see if any patterns start to become more clearly visible. The link I posted in my first reply (http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/) has some good strategies for situations such as this; and also has a worksheet you can use to help track your monitoring efforts. Using that worksheet (as well as some of the guidance in the article) can help you build a pretty solid case to take to Comcast to try and reach a solution.

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you should find yourself with any questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2601 - 01/02/15 07:23 PM Re: Help! [Re: Gary]
gjj Offline

Thank you for taking the time to consider this issue. I will read the information you suggested and hopefully get to the bottom of this.
Yes, except for the real bad day and one other issue requiring a modem reboot, a lot of the PL I have seen is on Sundays or weekends. I wondered is perhaps Comcast was doing some work at that time?
I will update you. Thanks.

Glen

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod