Topic Options
#2470 - 02/10/14 11:57 PM Random packet loss - request suggestions
Thrawn Offline

Hey all-
So I've been having a problem with comcast in Houston. I've noticed a 1-2% packet loss at any time of day. I've attached my pingplotter-std data set for about 45 min of 1 sec collection to the customer.comcast.com server. It shows that the latency is pretty constant, but I get random packet loss at all hops (outside of my personal network). I also get frequent T3 time-outs show up in my modem log (but nothing more, no reboots or anything). I did get comcast to send a tech out, who was very helpful. He ended up (with the help of his supervisor) running a new cable from the box outside into my apartment, using new splitters (but the same number/etc) and a brand new comcast modem to prove that the problem wasn't caused by the wiring/connections in my apartment or my modem. He agreed that the problem was in comcast's network. The supervisor ran a series of tests (not sure which ones) and came back saying there was a lot of noise in a node, which based on the frequency(?) of the noise was likely due to AT&T splicing into their system. I don't know if that is possible, but would that cause the problems I'm seeing? He said he would put in a work order for a line tech to work on it, but 4 days have passed and no improvement. I want to follow up on this issue, but I want to be able to provide suggestions as to what may be causing the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions or has seen anything like this?
Thanks!!

Attachments
customer.comcast.com.pp2 (511 downloads)

#2471 - 02/11/14 01:46 PM Re: Random packet loss - request suggestions [Re: Thrawn]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Thrawn,

Thanks for writing in!

If you've already had a tech out, and already eliminated everything inside of your own network as being the cause of your issue... Then at this point, the issue is in your providers hands (which is never fun to hear, I know). The best thing you can do at this point is to send occasional updates, reminding them that the problem continues to exist.

You may want to collect some more data over a longer period of time as well, just to see if this possibly may be a time based issue. 10:05pm to 10:40pm is often pretty bad territory. If your results are a lot better at 3am, for instance, then this would imply bandwidth saturation - which may have a different resolution from your provider.

A suggestion here: when reaching back out to your provider, make it clear to them the impact that this issue is having on your internet usage (if you haven't already, that is). Providing PingPlotter data will aid in showing them that theres a problem, but correlating the issue to a real-world implication (such as "I can no longer work from my home office," or "I mostly use this connection for online gaming - which isn't possible now") will help make your issue seem like more than just a collection of data that shows problems, and will often help expedite a resolution. We've been working on a bit of documentation that goes over this practice (as well as some other tips) that may be useful. You can check it out here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

Hopefully this helps out! If you have any other questions, or need any other assistance - please let us know.

-Gary

#2474 - 02/14/14 08:31 PM Re: Random packet loss - request suggestions [Re: Gary]
Thrawn Offline

I just wanted to follow up on this thread with my resolution. Comcast was able to fix the problem. It appears that there was local interference/noise on Comcast's system from AT&T U-Verse. The line tech fixed it and now my ping-plot looks like the attached image. So if anyone sees a plot/symptoms that look like my original post and has ruled out their own equipment or the coax lines/connections coming into their house/apartment, then you should suspect signal interference.
Also, I want to say that the ping-plotter software is outstanding. It really helped me to diagnose the problem and convince Comcast that the issue was real. I have already started to recommend this software to friends and colleagues.
Thanks!

Attachments
fixed-customer.comcast.com.png

#2475 - 02/17/14 11:49 AM Re: Random packet loss - request suggestions [Re: Thrawn]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Thrawn,

That's fantastic! We're very happy to hear you were able to get a resolution to this. Thank you so much for sharing - we always love to hear success stories!

As always, if there's anything else we can ever do to help out, please let us know.

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod