Topic Options
#2289 - 07/27/11 03:32 PM High ping
citx Offline

Hello all, I'm very new to using ping plotter but have run an overnight plot to an ESEA counter-strike 1.6 server located in NY (I'm from CT) and have noticed I have a constant 60-70 average ping when I should be getting 10-30. This problem never occurred a year or two ago when I played competitively but when I try to play any FPS on servers close to me recently I have a constant "ping spike" feeling every 3-5 seconds (from 40-50 ping up to 60-100). I run comcast cable and when I go to my buddies house three miles away I run fluently without any problems and get the desired 10-30 ping in said servers.(Keep in mind they have same ISP). Now could this be a problem with my modem/router being out of date?(Both are probably 2-3 years+ old) Although this may not seem like a big problem to the non-competitive eye, problems like this are the difference between winning and losing, and makes the game sluggish and very annoying. Any help is appreciated, thank you

#2290 - 08/08/11 10:33 PM Re: High ping [Re: citx]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hello.

It could be a problem with your modem / router, or it could be a problem with your cable connection - or with a wireless network inside your own home. Often when we hear these problems, the problem originates with a wireless network. If you're using wireless, try using hard-wire and see if that solves your problem.

If you're already hard-wired, then run PingPlotter and look for the high latency point. We have quite a few techniques on this tied into our VoIP troubleshooting guide (VoIP and gaming have a lot of similarities):

http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/standard/voiptroubleshooting.html

Feel free to post a picture here, or send some sample data to our support team to get some more specific guidance.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod