Topic Options
#2242 - 11/01/10 07:58 AM Voip problems
snookerguru Offline

Hello.

I just download the trial version of ping plotter and started a trace. I have very little experience in enterpeting this so i need help.

Problem:
We recently went over to use VOIP on a customer and are having most classical problem described in your http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/pro/voiptroubleshooting.html

The network:
We have a SSL-VPN connection to the VOIP server. We have 100Mbit fiber internet connection and both of us has set dedicated traffic for VOIP (10Mbit).
Now to ping plotter. I have only done the trace for about two hours but would like a opinion if it is possible. From my point of view i dont have any packet losses on end destination but there is jitter and the ms is going up and down a lot. Is that a problem? Although the ping is very good? In your view is there anything the printscreen that would suggest a problem?
Is the jitter experienced high or normal?
[img:center][/img]

Thanks in advance.

#2243 - 11/01/10 10:25 AM Re: Voip problems [Re: snookerguru]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Were you having any voice issues during the time you were collecting PingPlotter data?

Based on the one minute image you shared here, I'd guess that you were not having any network-related voice issues during that minute - it looks great. The final destination has a maximum latency of 5ms and no lost packets - that's beyond ideal. Most voice protocols have an internal latency (by design!), so the latency you're seeing here is about perfect - even with a bit of jitter (which is not significant *at all* with the latency you're seeing).

The jitter you're seeing at the intermediate hops is a bit higher, but is not being represented at the final destination, so it's not an issue - even if it was high enough to be an issue, which it isn't.

This is pretty dreamy, based on the one minute sample you're showing - close enough to perfect that it would be considered perfect by many people.

Back to the question, though, if you experienced any voice problems during that period. The value of PingPlotter in a voice scenario is that it can capture problems over time. Maybe you didn't experience voice problems during the period you were collecting data, but you did at some other time - keep running PingPlotter until you experience voice problems, and then see what PingPlotter looks like.

If you *were* experiencing voice problems during this period, what were they? Maybe your voice issues are not network related.

If you do sometimes experience voice problems, but you weren't during this period, keep collecting data until you have voice issues - then look at PingPlotter to see what your network looked like during the voice issues.

#2244 - 11/01/10 10:50 AM Re: Voip problems [Re: Pete Ness]
snookerguru Offline

Hi Pete.

Thanks for a speedy reply. And sorry about the 1 minute display only smile. The reply you gave "Based on the one minute image you shared here, I'd guess that you were not having any network-related voice issues during that minute - it looks great" cracked me up:). Was trying it out and forgot to show a bit more data:). Yes i have no clue when they get the voip problems, its intermittent ofcourse but they do happen on a daily basis and several times during a day. Anyway here is a view over 6 hours. If you could give views on this with a bit more data would be appretiated. But yes it does not look like there have been any problems during this time anyway internet network retated..

[img:left][/img]

#2245 - 11/02/10 11:20 PM Re: Voip problems [Re: snookerguru]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Well, there's some data here that isn't entirely perfect.

Your best bet, I think, is to have them log the exact time of issues (disconnects, bad voice quality, whatever). When you get a chance, go back to PingPlotter at these times and look for latency or packet loss. If you find data in PingPlotter that looks supportive of the problem (2 in a row lost packets or > 100ms of latency), then you can look back at the earlier hops to see the first hop with problems.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod