Topic Options
#2167 - 12/06/09 01:13 PM Noob needs help Please
STP_Cowboy Offline

Let me start this way.....I play rFactor/sbs sprints and noticed the other day I was getting bad Frame Rates, so I up graded video cards. Then after doing that I did a pingtest.net and found really poor packet lose. So I chunked my g series router for a netgear wireless router my ISP provided. went back tested again....had a 2% PL. Which was tons better. During all this I downloaded PingPlotter standard, it's showing a lot of PL% on my hop 8 (little to none on others) which is Atlanta2.level3.....4.69.138.4....now like I said I have no idea what/how this program will help me to find out where exactly the loss is coming from (yes I have read the quick-start (start to finish). But I'm hoping someone here will help. If you can instruct me on what/where/when/how I'll get there. Right at this moment I am tracing google.com; it seems to be showing more information than the other traces do.
And I've traced right at 1 hour +/-
So, with that novel written, Can anyone help an old man out with the given information?

Sincerely,
Steve
aka Stp_Cowboy

#2168 - 12/08/09 11:45 AM Re: Noob needs help Please [Re: STP_Cowboy]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Steve.

If you're seeing packet loss only at hop 8 (like it sounds like), then you can't necessarily say that anything is wrong:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/24

For best results, collect data over time. Look at the final destination for packet loss or latency problems. Then, look back at all earlier hops to see where the same problems exists.

Here's more details on this technique:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/47

I'd use a 2.5 second trace interval in your scenario. Also, you should (ideally) be tracing to the server you're using for gaming rather than Google - if possible.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod