Topic Options
#2121 - 05/16/09 05:40 AM How to find Game Servers with Less Packet Loss ?
theabsolute Offline

Hi. I am new to PingPlotter (PP) and got the Standard Edition. I am playing the game BF2142 and my question is how to find the best servers where I have the less packet loss..

How will I do it in PP?

I.e., a game server is the 62.104.18.157 .

If I use "UPD Packet" from options I get about 4% packet loss in long time period. I think it's the REAL packete loss, because games usually use UPD connections to tranfer high-rate data without caring for verification.

If I use "TCP" or "ICMP" I get 0% packet loss.

I believe that if I change more setting the results will change. Unfortunately I have no idea how the settings of PP will affect the outcome.

Can anyone help or propose the correct settings in order to test game servers for their REAL packet loss?

Thanks

#2122 - 05/16/09 04:17 PM Re: How to find Game Servers with Less Packet Loss ? [Re: theabsolute]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
What are you seeing in-game? When you connect to a server, does it behave as though you're seeing 4% packet loss, or 0% packet loss? That's really the real indicator.

The UDP that PingPlotter uses is not the same as the UDP that BF2142 uses, so the fact that PingPlotter is showing 4% loss doesn't necessarily mean that BF2142 is going to show the same loss - especially when ICMP and TCP are not showing packet loss.

Also, to pick the best server, PingPlotter isn't going to give you a way to easily compare 50 or 100 servers to find out which is the best. PingPlotter will help you troubleshoot a specific server - and if you're having trouble with all servers (because the problem is close to you), then PingPlotter can help you with this.

The best thing to test REAL packet loss is to look at your game experience, and to correlate the data you see in PingPlotter with the data you see in game (does BF2142 have any packet loss or latency indicators in-game?) and then look to see which hop is originating that problem in PingPlotter. We talk about that technique here:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/47

Please let us know where this leaves you. Any pictures of what you're seeing are helpful to understand the problem better.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod