Topic Options
#2074 - 12/24/08 11:44 AM Help interpreting this?
cdowdy Offline

I was hoping for some assistance in interpreting this trace. It appeared to me that there was latency between hop 8 and 9 here, but how can hop 14 be so low at the same time? In addition, a trace to hop 10 as the final destination shows no latency. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#2075 - 12/24/08 01:27 PM Re: Help interpreting this? [Re: cdowdy]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This is probably due to a return route difference. Because we're only showing the route in one direction (not the route the data goes through on the return route), it may be that some hops / data types have different participating routes. The 8 to 9 link *might* be the problem in this case, but it may also be that data coming back from hop 9 is following a different route than the data coming back from hop 8 - and that this is actually the issue. This scenario starts to get pretty challenging to troubleshoot, though, unless you have control over a destination that is showing these problems (because you can then trace / pingplot from the opposite direction and see which route *is* participating, and where latency is being added in the return route).

You might start this out by talking to your ISP. They might be using multiple providers / peers, and they may know that one of them is getting saturated.

#2076 - 12/24/08 03:30 PM Re: Help interpreting this? [Re: Pete Ness]
cdowdy Offline

Thanks for the quick response! I thought this was kinda weird. I'll see what else I can come up with. Thanks!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod