Topic Options
#1862 - 06/04/07 12:30 AM Tell Me what this means .
Shaun Offline

Here is a graph from last night and today.The left part of the graph was with the settings of Time to trace=Unlimited ,Trace Interval=5 ,Samples =20.The right part of the graph the only thing I changed was Trace interval to 1 second.My question is why do i get better result with using 1 seciond instead of 5.The difference is dramatic.I use a wireless radio broadband connection and pppoe

Attachments
1891-butcherblock.everquest2 330.png

Edited by Shaun (06/04/07 12:35 AM)

#1863 - 06/04/07 01:19 PM Re: Tell Me what this means . [Re: Shaun]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Shaun.

We've seen instances in the past where a constant data stream keeps a wireless connection "awake". When you trace less frequently, the wireless connection goes in power and/or bandwidth saving mode.

Normally, though, it's the early hops that get impacted, and later hops work fine. We send out the early hops first, and each packet is separated by a little bit of time, so by the time the packet goes out for your final destination, the connection should be fully "woken up". It's hard to know what logic any device uses for optimization, though, so you could be seeing this as a problem.

Does your Everquest experience more closely approximate the packet loss / latency you're seeing in the early part of the trace or the later part? Does running PingPlotter at a higher rate do anything to your Everquest experience?

What does your trace look like when you're playing Everquest? The constant stream of data necessary for the Everquest client should keep the connection active.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod