Topic Options
#1608 - 03/20/06 04:13 PM AutoSave and Memory
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a couple of questions about a setup. We use PP to monitor many hosts over an extended period and it winds up eating up the RAM and disk space like Skittles...PP is great but I think the purchaser should have purchased Multiping to fit for our purpose.

At any give time we would have nearly 20 hosts pinging every 1 second. I have the AutoSave Images turned off. These are the following settings:

Sampling:
#of times to (gets cut off after this) - Unlimited
Trace - 1 second

AutoSave:
Data - Save Interval - 2hrs
Max samples - (set to zero)

1) Does turning off AutoSaving the images affect the web viewing?
2) Are the settings for Max Samples and #of times to under Sampling the same setting?
3) If I would like 100 samples for each host do I specify 100 or 400 (100 for each)?
So if I wanted to save the data for 4 hosts every 24 hours would i need 86400 samples or 345600 samples?
4) If I specify more samples than time to AutoSave, will the current data be saved at the specified time or will it be saved when the samples to save have been reached?
Example: 1 host, ping every 1 second, keep 20 samples, save every 10 seconds...

TIA!

Jacob

#1609 - 03/20/06 04:26 PM Re: AutoSave and Memory
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Jacob.

We cover some general concepts about long term monitoring here:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/44

That might give you some general direction.

As for your specific questions:

1) No - the web interface for PingPlotter Pro is entirely independant of the auto-save settings.

2) No - The max samples in memory setting in the Options screen is used for setting the memory footprint. The # of times to trace in the main screen is only used to determine how many samples will be done. This is almost always set to 0 - and for long term monitoring, should always be 0 (ALL). The Max samples in memory, though, should be set to something different - see the knowledge base article referenced above for more details on this.

3) All settings are per-host. If you want 100 samples for each one, you'd set it to 100.

4) It's saved at the specified time. We normally save data every 30 minutes, but recommend having at least a day's worth of data in memory. The important thing is that you need a "bucket" to save things in - and the bucket size if determined by the file name - if it only has a date in it, then you only get one bucket a day and you'll need to have enough in memory to fill that bucket. If your file name has $hour in it, you'll get a save file per hour, and you'll want to make your max samples in memory be at least an hour's worth (3600).

Have a look over the article referenced above and then feel free to come back with any questions.

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod