Topic Options
#1400 - 06/20/05 07:37 AM How To? auto start multiple instances of Ping Plotter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

What I want is to start a few sessions of Ping Plotter to ping different hosts, but I want to do it automatically. I have tried using the command line options, by creating a batch file like this:

“@echo off
pingplotter /TRACE:192.168.0.1
pingplotter /TRACE:192.168.0.3
pingplotter /TRACE:192.168.0.4
…”

It doesn’t work because just the first session is started and the second one doesn’t start until the first one is finished (closing the window).

Any other options?

Thank U.

#1401 - 06/20/05 08:44 AM Re: How To? auto start multiple instances of Ping Plotter.
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
You need to add the Windows "start" command to the mix. Something like this:

@echo off
start "" "c:\program files\ping plotter\pingplotter.exe" /TRACE:www.youserver1.com /minimize
start "" "c:\program files\ping plotter\pingplotter.exe" /TRACE:192.168.0.1 /minimize
start "" "c:\program files\ping plotter\pingplotter.exe" /TRACE:192.168.0.3 /minimize

That should get things working the way you expect.

Let us know if that leaves you with questions / problems.

- Pete

#1402 - 06/20/05 10:50 AM Re: How To? auto start multiple instances of Ping Plotter. [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That works fine, thanks Pete.

Could you please tell me how much of these sessions can I open without negatively influencing the ping’s measurement ?. My staff is warning me doing several pings from just one machine to multiple targets without synchronizing them properly, or without considering the bandwidth,…etc. In other words, does any problem exist with 100 instances of PingPlotter opened (the way you kindly explained me) to ping different hosts?

Best regards.

#1403 - 06/24/05 03:24 PM Re: How To? auto start multiple instances of Ping Plotter.
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
"It Depends".

One of the challenges is that separate instances of PingPlotter are unsynchronized, so there might be multiple instances sending out packets at the same exact moment. This might happen with as few as two instances (although that would be unlikely on any broadband connection because two instances can be simultaneously handled by a modem in most cases, if you keep that packet size small).

We have done 10 without problem on a 640K connection, but as you increase the number of packets being sent out, you increase the odds of overlap.

We are addressing this concern in a future product release (of our upcoming "Pro" line).

- Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod