Hi,

I would like to do a long term monitoring project over the next week but I want to minimize the amount of data stored in memory. So I want to use the Auto Save feature.

One hour seems like a good time interval to do my saving and I’ve set the sample interval to 2.5 seconds. So I set the Max samples to keep in memory at 1500. (3600 sec / 2.5 sec per sample = 1440. Giving me 60 samples for wiggle room for write latencies and things like that.)

1) From what I’ve read it appears that auto save will NOT clear the samples from memory. Is this correct?

2) I noticed that if I set the file name to something static (e.g. X.pp2) the data appears to be appended to it. Exactly what is appended, everything that is memory or just the samples that have not previously been saved (assuming that auto save does not clear memory)? Will those extra 60 samples I pointed out above cause any problems i.e. will thay be duplicated?

3) After the monitoring session is complete, and I double click on the auto save file what is read back into memory? What I mean is, in question 3 I think the appended data will include some overlaps so if there are overlaps does PP handle this when the dataset is read in?

4) I notice that when I open an auto save file the “Max samples to keep in memory” setting is set to whatever I’ve set it at previously. So, if number of samples saved is greater than this number what happens when the file is opened (or does it really matter)?

Thanks!
-Kevin